Learned to Knit This Week

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I decided to try to learn to knit.
I found some tutorials on Youtube, bought needles and yarn. I started with a scarf.
I had to keep pausing the videos to understand what was being done. I had to pull the whole thing apart and begin again because I cast on too many stitches making the scarf way too wide. It was only 1 inch done so I didn't mind, lol!
I am now 18" into the scarf and it is becoming a compulsion to work on it whenever I have a few minutes. I see two mistakes but I now know how I made them (picked up an extra stitch)and can prevent them.
This is fun!

There is a knitting group that I'd like to join for pointers on gradually going more advanced, but I wanted basic know how to see if I'd like to knit in the first place. The online tutorials are great!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats! I took a class at my community college, along with two other co-workers. We learned to pick (that's Continental style) instead of throw (English style) and I didn't even know that there were different ways! I like the look of knitting, but if I need things done fast I crochet. I want to get good enough to do lace work!

Scarves are so fun! :ya

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I used to knit all the time. I took it in jr high home ec and just kept going - sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, gloves, socks...and lots of scarfs.

My future dil started with a book from the library called OneSkein Knitting, and now is doing OneSkein Crochet.

Its ADDICTIVE! :gig

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm a crocheter. I've been doing it since I was in high school. I learned from my ex-boyfriend's grandmother.

I decided to learn to knit last year and bought a book and some needles. I really love the seed stitch, it makes a lovely scarf and hat.

I do prefer crochet though. Goes much faster and I feel like all thumbs sometimes with two needles LOL

Congrats on the knitting!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I crochet...ok I used to crochet!
Congrats on learning to knit!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Congrats! My mom taught me how to knit and crochet, I enjoy it but can;t do anything fancy. i too prefer crochet, since I tend to be impatient with things like that. You get results quicker with crocheting.

I want to teach my daughter all I know(which are basically the basics). I'll wait for a rainy day.

I really admire your gumption to learn all by yourself. (with the aid of tutorials.) You should feel really great about your accomplishment!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Congrats! I took a class at my community college, along with two other co-workers. We learned to pick (that's Continental style) instead of throw (English style) and I didn't even know that there were different ways! I like the look of knitting, but if I need things done fast I crochet. I want to get good enough to do lace work!

Scarves are so fun! :ya
I looked at the continental since you mentioned it and they say it is a better transition method for crocheters. Continental does seem economical in movement, but right now I don't want to get confused, hahaha.

I have a good friend who is one of only 3 lace makers in Ohio. She gave a demo and showed all her tools at our library. I could see going blind with that! She said she could sell everything she makes but won't because it takes too long and she is always trying new techniques, keeping that lace for reference.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I used to knit all the time. I took it in jr high home ec and just kept going - sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, gloves, socks...and lots of scarfs.

My future dil started with a book from the library called OneSkein Knitting, and now is doing OneSkein Crochet.

Its ADDICTIVE! :gig
Hmmm, now I know who to ask for pointers! :D
I'll do a search for that book at the lib, thanks for the suggestion.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I can loom knit, but just don't get needle knitting. I want someone to teach me to crochet. I tried learning from online tutorials, but I am missing something obviously. I am a lefty and that doesn't help :p

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I can loom knit, but just don't get needle knitting. I want someone to teach me to crochet. I tried learning from online tutorials, but I am missing something obviously. I am a lefty and that doesn't help :p
I tried to learn to knit online, but I failed! In person for me was the only way. I also learned to crochet from a class... I was 10 at the time, but I still remember! I need someone standing there to be like "no this way" and grab my hands to show me.