Learned to Knit This Week

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Wifezilla said:
I can loom knit, but just don't get needle knitting. I want someone to teach me to crochet. I tried learning from online tutorials, but I am missing something obviously. I am a lefty and that doesn't help :p
I tried to learn to knit online, but I failed! In person for me was the only way. I also learned to crochet from a class... I was 10 at the time, but I still remember! I need someone standing there to be like "no this way" and grab my hands to show me.
hennypenny9, I had to view several of them before I found a video that went slow and showed the work up close. Even then I paused it and backed it up many, many times. Many times.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I can loom knit, but just don't get needle knitting. I want someone to teach me to crochet. I tried learning from online tutorials, but I am missing something obviously. I am a lefty and that doesn't help :p
I did view a lefty one and couldn't make sense of it, being right handed myself. But then anything could have confused me. I just kept scrolling until I found one I could follow.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I both crochet and knit. I like them both for different reasons.

Crocheting does go faster, but uses significantly more yarn. Also, the finished look isn't as 'smooth', but it is sturdier. I have knitted and croched blankets and the knitted ones stretched out way too much.

Knitting does require more accesories, but uses less yarn. I find it more versatile, and I can multitask better while knitting. I usually don't have to watch my hands except with complicated stitches. And, I have found that knit items are better for felting.

I took knitting lessons from an older lady. After a few years of adding to my skill set I started teaching lessons. Not a lot, but enough to cover the cost of the origional lessons and some yarn. I like to listen to audio books while I knit or crochet.

Good luck with your knitting!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I love a sweater I purchased that is knitted, with crocheted edging on the sleeves and hem. I would love to learn to do that one day. I do know some very basic knitting. I used to knit oversized gloves and mittens with cheap wool and wash them in the washer to shrink them. Didn't know about felting until years later.

I also made dishcloths and scarves, but that's about it. Now holding the needles makes my hands ache so I had to pretty much give it up. I think it is a wonderful ss skill!

The Chicken Lady

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
I like to listen to audio books while I knit or crochet.
Great idea!

I taught myself to knit using videos from the Internet about four years ago. I haven't made anything very impressive, but it's a fun skill to have.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wanted to learn to knit as a teenager, and asked my mother to teach me. She could knit, though not well, nor very fast. But the major problem was that she was left handed, and I am not. We gave up very quickly :lol:. And then I met my future husband, and his family. His mother and sisters all knitted the German way - not surprisingly, as they are German - holding the yarn in the left hand. MIL gave me a few lessons and it "clicked". So, what my mother couldn't teach me, in English, I learned from my MIL, in German :D. I have found recently that I can knit when in the car, though I can't read. It helps enormously when on long trips. I am making a scarf right now with *very* luxurious, but also *very* expensive musk ox wool - very warm, very soft, and, luckily, a little bit goes a long way. I have 1 oz of wool, and will have a scarf of about 34" of lacy knitting.

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am left handed, the person who taught me was right handed. she had a great way of teaching me We sat in chairs knee to knee, facing eachother that way her right hand was my left. So left handers basicly chrochet backwards. I found if took a pattern that was layed out with a picture. I could photo copy the pattern, turn it backwards, pin it to a lampshade and it was right for me. the light make the pattern show through the paper.

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yay!! More knitters! My mother is a HUGE knitter. She taught herself to knit with wooden home made knitting needles and the string off feed sacs when she was 8 yrs old. She has always knitted. Every once in a while she goes through a crochet mood but not very often. She taught me and my sister the basice knit stitch when we were about 7 or 8, I was too impatient back then. When I got prego with my son I knitted a very warm and lovely basic blanket for him then got into Granny squares and crocheted a few more blankets and a cap shawl. I put it down til about 3 years ago My mom got me into knitting again with dish and washcothes. That grew into hand towels, then I was making scarves and hats and OH MY LORD I ACTUALLY did it , SOCKS! That was sooo intimidating at first but I started small, with BABY socks since I had a perfect little guinea pig to make all the small socks for til I fully understood the mechanism. Since then Im always knitting something. I have made lots more pairs of adult and kid socks, plus more scarves and hats on circulars. I have a whole collection of washclothes and Im currently working on some warm eyelash type socks.

Yes It's Very addictive. Good luck with it. I admire your tenacity to learn on online tutorials too. It was so flustrating when I was trying to learn socks on a dvd.

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I knit and crochet both , good for you , fun hobby! I can't make myself do it though during the warm months, first frost to last frost I can't stop and then spring hits and whatever project I'm on waits for fall, lol . Have a granny square afghan half done waiting for fall !