Learning to sew without patterns

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone here sew without using patterns? I know that might sound strange but, I find sewing patterns confusing and intimidating. And I hate to spend $ on anything really. I think if I were to approach it myself I might be more apt to actually start a project. I've made a few simple things already, pincushions, bags, soft baby toys, and pillows. But, never anything as complicated as a piece of clothing. Which is what I would really love to make. I wouldn't be making clothing to sell. Just things for my family. I started a dress for my little Dd. It is a pillowcase dress so it is simple to begin with. Which is perfect for me since I'm a beginner anyhow. I don't know, does this sound crazy? Be honest I can take it. :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Not odd at all. Making my own patterns is MUCH easier than paper bought ones. Only, I'm still learning to FIT lol.

I'm taking classes online this autumn to learn to do it correctly. So far, I'm still at the simple stage :)

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was hoping to hear from you abifae! I'm glad to hear that. I know you are an experienced seamstress so, that is very encouraging.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
"experienced seamstress"... wouldn't go THAT far, but I'm learnin' ;)

http://deofsf.com/blog/ He has a blog and a yahoo group for learning to make patterns. He also has a book and online classes.

A lot of people on the sewing pattern group have their own blogs and classes as well. Everything from complete sewing noobs to professional tailors in the group.

And I think T Tunics are a good place to start lol.

Threadbanger is very DIY. Some is reconstruction, some is make a pattern.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are intimidated by patterns, you are not alone. However, and this is a big however, you Should go to JoAnns and look at the Simplicity Learn to Sew patterns. The pictures are huge, the directions are simple and clear and you can't help but end up with a great finished project. Joanns regularly has pattern sales where you can get patterns at 99-1.99 each. Just get on their mailing list. My daughter has an ever growing large collection of patterns that she has gotten for a dollar each with the exception of two Vogue patterns that she bought on sale for 3.99 each. Once you build up some confidence using the learn to sew patterns, there is no telling where you will go.

ctg492

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There are many No Pattern sewing projects online if you surf around. Also Treads Magazine has some in the magazine sometimes. The fabric store usually has magazines with no pattern projects too. I wish you good luck!

My history with sewing: I had the idea I was going to whip out designer clothes in no time/low cost and fun time doing it. FIRST trip to JoAnne Fabrics I gasped at the price of patterns and fabric. A lady about 75 smiled when I said to her "IS this the cost?" She kindly said "Oh honey you have not been able to make clothes for less then what you can buy them for since about 1974." Oh how wanted to learn to sew and be a seamstress anyhow. I bought the cheapest machine and way to many patterns.....then without considering a line my hubby always says "better golf clubs, don't make a bad golfer any better", so then I bought a very nice too expensive machine. Alas I was not a better seamstress. I guess I have master the patterns, cutting and following directions part, just not the Fitting. I have made tents, that were suppose to be a fitted dress! Goodwill has gotten everything I have made so far from pattern. I have now the Treads DVD set waiting for winter to come when I will be stuck inside and I will then watch and learn hopefully. I am good at making non fitted things like window toppers,iPad cases, really anything I don't wear.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have sewn a bunch of stuff without pattern, mostly costumes (fairy skirt and shirt, a couple of renaissance dresses, some skirts and vests, witch dress, etc.). I don't have anything against patterns, I just often can't find patterns that are exactly what I want. I'm sure I don't do it "right" (I'm sure I don't do a lot of sewing "right," since I taught myself to sew), but it works. I usually start out by figuring out how I want the item to look, then piecing it with paper, then cutting from that. Sometimes I mess up, but so far never so badly that I can't fix it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are a few things I see without patterns. Most skirts and things I have made 100 times. I agree with the simplicity patterns. Choose something with straight lines and elastic. Once you master a few basics they are all basically the same.

On the other hand I have seen many patterns that were wrong, and made something of simple construction very complicated. But only experience can help this. I sometimes build more complicated patterns twice. Once with a very inexpensive fabric for practice. Then move on to the good stuff.

Now if I had a dress form things would be different. I would love to build pieces in 3 dimensions.

Just keep at it.

G

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gina, do a google search for "duct tape dress form". They are easy to make, just time consuming and you need a buddy to help.

Regarding fitting, for a time, I quite sewing clothing because nothing fit right post babies. Then I took 3 fitting classes from a Palmer/Pletsch certified instructor. I and my 12 year dd learned to fit a blouse, slacks and blue jeans. Neither one of us would now make anything that is not fitted to us. Comfort just doesn't compare. I would recommend a book called "Fit for real people". It has lots of pictures and great directions. Also try some of the Palmer/Pletsch McCall's patterns. They have the fitting lines right on the pattern...way more options than the standard lighten and shorten lines.

Also get the JoAnns iPhone app that delivers coupons to you electronically. They regularly have 50% off coupons. I recently bought a bolt of heavy denim for 6.50 a yard. I can make a pair of fitted jeans for around 15 dollars. Add embroidery to the pockets and you have one-of-a-kind jeans. I asked my fit teacher why anyone would want to make jeans when you can buy them fairly inexpensively. She said they fit lime no other jean, plus if you decided to make bias cut jeans (even more comfortable) they cost close to 150-200 bucks each.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I use patterns as suggestions and adjust as I like. Sometimes things go wrong due to lack of focus (like the upside down sleeve). In general, I can figure out what to do by a photo. A dress form would be lovely!!!!!!!