Learning to sew without patterns

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
Gina, do a google search for "duct tape dress form". They are easy to make, just time consuming and you need a buddy to help.
Still waiting on a friend to have to time help me with mine. We're doing packing tape, the stuff you wet and it dries hard. I mostly sew with finer fabrics... like silks, so I am NOT letting it touch duct tape lol.

The other option is duct tape but you then fill it with papier mache and then ditch the duct form.

The third option is the class I am taking makes a sloper and then you cut the sloper out of a heavy paper and tape and stuff it for you form.

Neither one of us would now make anything that is not fitted to us. Comfort just doesn't compare. I would recommend a book called "Fit for real people". It has lots of pictures and great directions. Also try some of the Palmer/Pletsch McCall's patterns. They have the fitting lines right on the pattern...way more options than the standard lighten and shorten lines.
Yep yep. I've heard great things about that book and taking an online class this autumn. We'll see how it goes. I think I have to learn in person, in which case, I am screwed. There aren't classes for it anywhere around here.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try to get the book from the library. It is very helpful.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was going to do a duct tape form last year. Even bought the t shirt and tape. But I never got around to it. Maybe I can get one done this year.

I will have to look for that book. My sewing machine came with free classes for life. Now that my kids all have full school days I should work on taking advantage of that. I would love to use the quilting features.

g

tiredmommy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I took sewing for 6 years in middle school and high school and I still have panic attacks when it comes to patterns. I completely shut down. My mom cannot sew a lick. However, my grandmother, back in the 30's and 40's made all her own clothes and was the envy of the city. She has a golden thimble grafted to her finger! She would go to the expensive stores and try the clothes on and make notes of what she saw. She would go to the store buy her fabric and some butcher paper or news paper, move everything out of the living room and lay it all down and start cutting away. How she did that is so completely beyond me but I did take a lesson from her and learned to make simple shorts. I had a pair I loved that were getting old and worn. I took them apart and made a pattern from them. They were a simple elastic waist pair but I did it! Same basic concept for capris, clam diggers, pajama bottoms or pants. May not be the envy of the city like my grandmother was but from the waits down I can manage to clothe us!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I did an apron from a pattern and the first one I did was a bit puckered but after I did the first one the next one was much easier. Sometimes it just takes practice and multiple tries with a pattern before you get it right. That being said, I usually don't make clothing. I have done a few little simple dresses for my daughter but nothing with a pattern.

I also agree about fabric costs....good fabric is expensive. Cheap fabric is well, cheap. I find that if you keep an eye out at goodwill sometimes you can find clothing that you can cut up and repurpose. Especially stuff like long skirts or dresses in plus sizes. I know a lot of people that buy clothing at goodwill and chop it up for quilt squares. You can cut around anything that has a stain or tear in it and still use most of the fabric. It's also a cheaper way to experiment with patterns. Then when you get better at it you can go buy good fabric if you want and make it again with that with the confidence that you have already done a trial run.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I totally agree with the fabric costs.

How do people go about piecing a shirt..you know, putting it together? Do you sew the front to the back, sleeves then the collar?

Just a basic construction would be most helpful to me. They are selling shirts for 50 bucks a piece that I know I could make with better fabric and come out cheaper...I just need a little help.

Anyone?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had sewn a few items using patterns, when I volunteered to help in our local community theatre. They were working on "I Remember Mama", and I was asked if I could sew. When I allowed as to how I could, they gave me the cut out pieces for 7 blouses and 2 skirts. I had NO idea what they were supposed to look like, but I just followed the procedures I remembered from the patterns I had done and Behold! I had created 7 turn-of-the-century leg-of-mutton blouses, and 2 long skirts suitable for bustles. They even fit the people they were supposed to be for. Obviously the costume mistress also had a golden thimble.

And now for a story...

Once upon a time, there was a tailor that got some beautiful wool cloth and made himself a coat. It was a beautiful coat, and he loved it so much he wore it every day. He wore it until it was worn out. But when he looked at it, he realized it wasn't completely worn out. There was just enough good cloth left to make a vest out of it, so he did. It was a beautiful vest, and he loved it so much he wore it every day. He wore it until it was worn out.
But when he looked at it, he realized it wasn't completely worn out. There was just enough good cloth left to make a cap out of it, so he did. It was a beautiful cap, and he loved it so much he wore it every day. He wore it until it was worn out.
But when he looked at it, he realized it wasn't completely worn out. There was just enough good cloth left to make a button, so he did. It was a beautiful button, and he loved it so much he wore it every day. He wore it until it was worn out.
But when he looked at it, he realized it wasn't completely worn out. There was just enough good cloth left to make.... this story!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
What kind of machine did you get?
My husband bought me a Brother innov-is 1200 a couple Christmas ago. It was a major splurge and I would never have spent the money myself.

It took a while to finish paying for the darn thing, but I am very thankful for it. :love

I would really like to post some picks of things I have sewn but my pics are on my laptop and stored on disc. Internet is on my sons computer or phone. I am so discombobulated!!! :barnie

g