LED glow panel/tomato plants

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got my LED glow light in the Mail. I was a little shocked however when i opened the box cuz i thought it was going to be bigger.... Geez, For $59, I got that?????

Anyways, so my question is... I got this seed thing from the store, they are little seed plugs and I popped 2 seeds in each, then there is a Dome thing that goes on the top (suppose to keep heat and moisture in im assuming...) and it says to put in a bright location but to avoid direct sunlight. Okay, so im going to put it under my Glow light. Question is, the glow light doesnt produce heat. So if my soil temp is suppose to 75-85 for the seeds to germinate,how am i suppose to get it this warm>> its only 70 in my house right now. can I put a heating pad underneath the plastic tray??? would that transfer enough heat to warm the soil?? Do I NEED heat?? or would the heat just make it germinate faster. I dont have enough light to put all my seedlings under so some are going to have to go by the South window in my son's room. What should i do with them?? just plant and hope they get enough light?? I dont have any lights to put on one tray.

I feel like a fish out of water... I havent done seedlings before and im already late getting started, now im not sure even what to do!!! Help please!!!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First, don't panic :)

Most seeds will eventually sprout even below "recommended" temperatures, and 70 should be just fine--I keep my house at 68 and I manage to sprout tomatoes, peppers etc. every year.

I would be a little concerned about your light situation though. For seedlings to grow thick and strong they need a close source of light indoors, otherwise they grow "leggy" and spindly and really tall to reach the light coming in from the windows.

I don't know anything about led grow lights, I just use regular fluorescent lights (sometimes they are marked as "grow" lights, but they also have a "colour temperature" marked on the box and you can find regular tubes or bulbs that are the same as the "grow" ones for cheaper). I have lights over every tray, and I keep my seedling trays on a wire shelf with lights attached to the top of each shelf.

Hope that helps!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The heat will just help them germinate faster. I use the seed trays with the plugs and like moolie, I got the cheap lights that have the same lumens/color temp. as the "grow" lights and mine have done really well this year. It was my first year truly knowing what I was doing :lol: They did great! Just keep the light source as close as possible, and you DO NOT need to put light on them until they germinate. I didn't, mine were in a closet until they sprouted. When you have the dome on, wait for half of them to sprout, then prop the dome open a bit for circulation, then when they all/most have sprouted, take the dome off. You can put them under the light source anytime after the first sprouts. It's really not that complicated. I was overwhelmed at first too!! You'll do fine :hugs

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow, im amazed.... they ALL came up. All like 40 seeds I planted actually came up. Im very surprised. Now I have them under my LED light. Problem is my light isnt big enough and the ones on the outer part are already starting to lean in towards more light. LED lights point straight down, not side to side at all unfortunetly. If i get a fluroscent light and put it with the LED light would that work??
How far about my seedlings do i put the light? I had a cover for the tray they were in, do I leave that off now??
I started them in the little plug things, how fast do i need to transplant them out of there??

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rd200 said:
wow, im amazed.... they ALL came up. All like 40 seeds I planted actually came up. Im very surprised. Now I have them under my LED light. Problem is my light isnt big enough and the ones on the outer part are already starting to lean in towards more light. LED lights point straight down, not side to side at all unfortunetly. If i get a fluroscent light and put it with the LED light would that work??
How far about my seedlings do i put the light? I had a cover for the tray they were in, do I leave that off now??
I started them in the little plug things, how fast do i need to transplant them out of there??
Fluorescent light will work just fine alongside your panel. Keep the light very close to your plants, only a couple of inches away. Transplant tomatoes once they have a full set of leaves, and bury them all the way up to the cotyledon leaves (the round leaves that appear first are the 'baby' leaves and not true leaves) because tomato plants can grow more roots along the stem if it gets buried or lies on the ground long enough, and more roots mean a stronger thicker plant. :)

Sounds like you are doing great!

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Im so excited, my T5 grow light stand came today!!! Its 4 ft long, not a very wide light path, but it will work okay. I dont have much room under my dinky 12x12" LED grow light, so this will be able to help alot.
Im an idiot tho... we have been so busy with trying to get our house on the market taht i forgot to water them for like 3 days!! No wonder they arent growing. Drrrrr....moron.....so i tried not to saturate them tonight, but they were VERY thirsty. I hope i didnt ruin them. They still look fine, just im sure not watering them for 3 or 4 days isnt good for them. Im excited to get this show on the road. Ill have to transplant them pretty soon.
Another question. I put 2 seeds in every plug hoping that one would germinate and come up and ALL of them came up. So do i pull one of them out before transplanting or just leave both growing together and transplant and then thin later?? I wasnt expecting for them ALL to come up hence why i planted 2 in each plug. Or can i just leave two together and not thin them out. I have plenty of plants i think. I have like 40-50 tomatoe plants right now and i really only need 20 max, so im thinking that if i mess some up its not too big of a deal, because we have plenty more!!!!!

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The led lights are must for the tomato plants. They are the one which will give the tomato plants the energy replacement of the sunlight. It is essential for each and every plants as the sunlight is required.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
brandylorton said:
The led lights are must for the tomato plants. They are the one which will give the tomato plants the energy replacement of the sunlight. It is essential for each and every plants as the sunlight is required.
Or fluorescent lights :)

They've been working fine for me for almost 18 years now ;)

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
brandylorton said:
Or fluorescent lights :)

They've been working fine for me for almost 18 years now ;)
That is a very good thing if they are working from last 18 years than its the best but here i would like to know for which purpose you are using it and how ? Hope you will not mind answering it. It will be very much helpful to me.