LED Light bulbs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have gotten a few LED light bulbs and put them in the kids bathroom since they incessantly leave that light switch on. I like them, DH hates them...he says they don't give out as much light, but he just doesn't like that it takes them a second to get bright :hu

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I have gotten a few LED light bulbs and put them in the kids bathroom since they incessantly leave that light switch on. I like them, DH hates them...he says they don't give out as much light, but he just doesn't like that it takes them a second to get bright :hu
He must hate CFL they take quite a bit to warm up and give out the brighter light. At least mine do.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Wannabefree said:
He must hate CFL they take quite a bit to warm up and give out the brighter light. At least mine do.
:lol: Yep, and we have those throughout the rest of the house. I think he hates them because they are kinda blue looking lights that I got. I bought them from Ebay a while back to test and see if we'd like them better :hu He's the reason I haven't bought more though :/

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Emerald said:
Wannabefree said:
:lol: Yep, and we have those throughout the rest of the house. I think he hates them because they are kinda blue looking lights that I got. I bought them from Ebay a while back to test and see if we'd like them better :hu He's the reason I haven't bought more though :/
Walmart has some that come in either the blue white light or the "warm" orange red hue.. I like them both.. blue white for living room and the warm one for the all night lights.
I love my holiday lights but some of the have the "60 hertz" flicker that I don't like as much but then I don't use them for reading so it is not a big deal.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is my biggest gripe about the CFL is they take time to warm up, and I live in a dark house....These are instantly bright.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am thinking about the LED converstion from the CFLs.

but they were free from the power company. So if I start spending money again, hmm...how long will the pay off be to recover costs?

I am on the fence. I saw a website on LED lchristmas ights vs. traditional lights. The traditional are paid for. Will go many more years. If I send to goodwill and get the LEDs I am in the hole then, and with the $10 diff. in cost savings for 3 weeks of lights, 1 time per year....then I will dead before they pay themselves off. (I mean getting alot of lights for the whole roofline etc. to be decorated). Sometimes I just question myself if the change is beneficial?? I don't know, just rambling.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
wait a while. LEDs are coming down in price. I don't think they have hit bottom yet.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Mackay said:
wait a while. LEDs are coming down in price. I don't think they have hit bottom yet.
I couldn't agree more. I am waiting, and will probably go to LED's myself if I can get some of the others with white light, and convince the hubster. I'd prefer them over the CFL's for sure.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been buying the holiday lights for a few years only after the holiday when they are on clearance or if I get them really good sale wise on Black Friday. I hate paying full price for anything... EVER! :lol: And I put up quite a bit. Of the oldest LED's I haven't had on string fail yet.. while my regulars that look in good shape still need to have new bulbs here and there every year.
I do take care of them.. I put all my lights on these nifty little red plastic light strand holders that I got for .10 each on clearance I bought $3 worth and use them for the light weight extension cords also. I'm hoping that the LED lights last as long if not longer (with less bulb replacements)than the old fashioned ones.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
What is the savings though of switching out from something that works (currently almost everywhere in the house we have CFLs) to the LED's that might save money on the bill but cost more to buy? Is it worth giving away something that I spent a fair chunk on in order to buy something more expensive in order to save money on the electric bill?
:-/
I think that we'll work towards LED's in the house eventually, but right now we've got enough CFL's that are still going strong, even after more than 4 years of mostly regular use.

The thing that worries me is that we have a ceiling fan with a light in our bedroom that takes those skinny candelabra bulbs instead of the standard diameter light bulbs. We found some CFL bulbs that came in the candelabra size, however, the bulb with its thick base and tube was too long to fit inside the globe. I haven't checked to see if anybody has an LED's that match that size/shape, but the CFL's don't work for sure, and now the incandescent bulbs are no longer being made.

We switched out all our christmas lights this year (wanted to do it all at once) when Home Depot ran their trade-in sale. We had some gift cards left over from a few things, and so we spent about $120.00 and got probably more than 800 feet of lights. Our house is so cute now!!!