LED Light bulbs

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went to Costco this week and they had three pack of clear (nice and bright) LED lights for 17.00, they are AWESOME so far! They replaced the fluorescent in my chandelier that used 42 watts total for now a total usage of less than 10 and I have more light output, I am going to purchase a pack every payday and replace all in my home. I saved 30.00 a month off my electricity 4 years ago switching to fluorescent now I am excited to see what the LED's will lower my bill. Has anyone else bought/seen them at Costco?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't shop cosco but have seen them at Sam's club too.. I haven't bought them there but hav ebought many of them at Walmart and Menards.. I have been trying to replace what I can and for the lights that have to be on the most. The only light I haven't replaced yet is my reading lamp as I haven't found a less expensive LED that works well there yet. sure I could put out almost $15 for one for my reading lamp but I am too busy having to keep the budget at the moment! but the smaller ones that I have to replace the ceiling fans lights are working out very well and the smaller hall and bathroom ones that are on almost all night(I have a balance problem ) work lovely..
Not to forget all the holiday light strings that we have replaced with LED in the past three years( I only buy them on sale/clearance).. We kept our tree and holiday lights on all season last year and noticed that the bill didn't change! it didn't go up that $10 like normal. Hubby came home the other day with a couple more strings of blue for my tree as a surprise! I must say that with every kind of light the blue is not as bright as the white(my theme) so having more blue is a must!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We gave all our regular Christmas lights to the Goodwill store this year after picking up all the clearance LED lights for the last few seasons, my Husband of course is thrilled to be able to go crazy decorating and not costing a fortune. I just cringe at the boxes stuffed to the limit in the garage :cool: but you have to compromise, LOL.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have gotten a few LED light bulbs and put them in the kids bathroom since they incessantly leave that light switch on. I like them, DH hates them...he says they don't give out as much light, but he just doesn't like that it takes them a second to get bright :hu

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I have gotten a few LED light bulbs and put them in the kids bathroom since they incessantly leave that light switch on. I like them, DH hates them...he says they don't give out as much light, but he just doesn't like that it takes them a second to get bright :hu
He must hate CFL they take quite a bit to warm up and give out the brighter light. At least mine do.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Wannabefree said:
He must hate CFL they take quite a bit to warm up and give out the brighter light. At least mine do.
:lol: Yep, and we have those throughout the rest of the house. I think he hates them because they are kinda blue looking lights that I got. I bought them from Ebay a while back to test and see if we'd like them better :hu He's the reason I haven't bought more though :/

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Emerald said:
Wannabefree said:
:lol: Yep, and we have those throughout the rest of the house. I think he hates them because they are kinda blue looking lights that I got. I bought them from Ebay a while back to test and see if we'd like them better :hu He's the reason I haven't bought more though :/
Walmart has some that come in either the blue white light or the "warm" orange red hue.. I like them both.. blue white for living room and the warm one for the all night lights.
I love my holiday lights but some of the have the "60 hertz" flicker that I don't like as much but then I don't use them for reading so it is not a big deal.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is my biggest gripe about the CFL is they take time to warm up, and I live in a dark house....These are instantly bright.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am thinking about the LED converstion from the CFLs.

but they were free from the power company. So if I start spending money again, hmm...how long will the pay off be to recover costs?

I am on the fence. I saw a website on LED lchristmas ights vs. traditional lights. The traditional are paid for. Will go many more years. If I send to goodwill and get the LEDs I am in the hole then, and with the $10 diff. in cost savings for 3 weeks of lights, 1 time per year....then I will dead before they pay themselves off. (I mean getting alot of lights for the whole roofline etc. to be decorated). Sometimes I just question myself if the change is beneficial?? I don't know, just rambling.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
wait a while. LEDs are coming down in price. I don't think they have hit bottom yet.

Latest posts