Leftover Sqished Taters

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what to do with leftover mashed potatoes? I had quite a few that were getting ready to go south so I cooked tham all up last night with skins on.

The problem is I've never fixed so much with the skins on and these can't be easily fried up into potato pancakes (tried that once and it didn't go over well).

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Thanks!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Shepherd's Pie

cooked meat (can be leftover)
cooked veggies of your liking
brown gravy
seasonings
mashed potatoes

Put hot cooked meat, veg, gravy & seasonings in greased casserole. Top with mashed potatoes. Broil about 8 minutes until golden brown.

Irish Potato Bread

1 1/4 cup warm water
3 teaspoons yeast
1 1/2 cups milk
3 Tablespoons butter
1 cup mashed potatoes at room temperature
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups flour
1 egg (for glaze)

Pour warm water into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. The water should be about 85 to 115F. Test it with your hand. It should feel very warm, but comfortable. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand for 5 minutes.

With the mixer at speed 2, slowly mix in milk, mashed potatoes, butter, sugar and salt. Gradually mix in flour. The dough should turn into a ball. Continue to knead on speed 2 for 2-3 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. If the dough does not ball up because it's to dry, add water one Tablespoon at a time until it does. If your mixture is more like a batter, add flour one Tablespoon at a time. Adding water or flour as needed to get the right consistency will assure you always get a perfect dough. Just remember to do it in small amounts.

Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).

Grease 2 loaf pans and pre-heat oven to 375F.

Punch down dough and divide into two pieces. Shape each piece into loaf shape and place in Greased pans. Cover pans with clean towel and let rise till doubled (about 1 hour).

Use a pastry brush to brush beaten egg over the tops of the loaves. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.

ETA: Chickens like mashed potatoes.....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Use as a base for hamburger gravy, BBQ of any sort, stroganoff, veggie stir-fry.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The gravy base sounds like a great idea! I am definately going to try that!

The shepards pie was fantastic! It's the first time I ever fixed it and I really loved that I could use all my leftover meats and veggies. This is going to be a regular dish at our house for now on!

The potato bread came out perfectly. Major yum factor!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Put them into 1 gallon freezer bags and freeze them for use later. That's what we do.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
WITH milk added, but NOT the butter....although I don't see why you couldn't add the butter as well.