Leftover .......?.......

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
.... mashed potatoes .....

Leftover mashed potatoes, spread in a baking dish or individual ramekins. Using a spoon make a hollow in the potatoes, break an egg in, cover with breadcrumbs, dot with butter, sprinkle with some paprika, and bake at 375* for 20 minutes or so, until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
That's the basics. Tonight I mixed the potatoes with the leftover broccoli, and some bits of crisp bacon. Sometimes I top with some cheese, but DH doesn't eat cheese, so often I don't use any at all. If I don't have leftover veg. to mix with the potatoes I'll put a spoonful of frozen peas under the egg. I cooked a sausage to go with it, and DH got some of the leftover gravy from yesterday's roast chicken.

So, what do you do with leftovers?

ETA: Obviously, not just one egg, but enough for however many servings you want :p

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I iwill have to try that for leftover mashed potatoes!

I sometimes make potato pancakes from them. Just add egg and some flour. Then fry until they are browned.

Or mashed potatoes make a great ingredient in yeast breads.
Or topping off a Shepherd's Pie.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh..always for a shepherds pie. To me, the mashed potatoes can be a major ingredient, to have to start them from scratch. so, if I end up with enough leftover mashed potatoes, shepherds pie it is!! :celebrate

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Of course, shepherds' pie.

But if you want a change from that, I often used leftover mashed taters to thicken my crockpot ham & potato soup (can be done cheesy or creamy, depending on mood).

Last night I made beef pot pie, with a beef roast that didn't tender up in the crock pot and leftover vegetables from several nights. Hubby is raving about it and can't wait until I do it again.

I also have a recipe in my reprint of the 1896 Fanny Farmer cookbook for potato cakes/fritters from leftover mashed potatoes. Every chapter in this book has some recipes for leftovers!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Shepherds pie is a treat for us. I don't make it very often.

I used them last time though, to make an Irish potato patty recipe. I had to add a fresh grated potato to is though, and I thought the salt count was way too high. In the end, even SO said they were too salty.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't make mashed taters often....but when I do the leftovers go only into one meal....potatoe pancakes.

we love them so since we don't make the mashed alot we always want the pancakes after LOL

just something about a potatoe pancake that is heaven :)

HeronsNestFarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I recently tried a new shepherd's Pie

Star by roasting in your oven 4 carrots and a few parsnips till soft. Slice Italian sausage and fry until golden with 1 chopped onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Add 1/2 c flour and stir in allowing a rue to set. Ad 2 1/2 c water, 4 tbs soy sauce, and 1/4 c Worcestershire sauce; heat till just bubbly, pour in dish, cover with mashed taters and bake till taters begin to brown.

My whole family went nuts for it! :weee You can add 1/4 Parmesan to mashed taters before cooking for added flavor.
:p

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Our version of sheppard's pie uses beef, and then frozen veggies, and then is topped with creamed cauliflower instead of mashed tatos. Gives it a really unique flavor and isn't quite as heavy as the potato version. We're trying to go lower carb, and that works pretty well!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Our version of sheppards pie is ground beef browned, mix in a can of peas and a can of creamed corn, bring to a simmer. Pour into a baking dish and top with mashed potatoes...top with paprika and put in oven to brown a little...mmmmm yum!