Let's bring in some new members!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think we should deliberately try to increase the participation on the sufficentself site. Because I believe that, I think we should share ideas about how to do it. Which is why I'm starting this thread.

This exchange took place in an old thread a bit over a year ago:
Joel_BC said:
I wonder if this forum, good as it is, has gotten into a rut. ??
lighthawk said:
Don't worry as things continue to worsen they will find us.
I began talking to a good many of my buddies five or six years ago about prepping and becoming more self-sufficient.
Well, how much better or easier have things in the world become? And even Lighthawk hasn't posted anything new since Feb 23 of last year.

I say welcome to all our recent newbies... glad you're here. :thumbsup
And we've got a good core group who post here regularly, and there's real content in what's posted. But our active-member group is actually pretty small. And this site deserves more participation - to appreciate what the regulars and newbies are posting, to enjoy and learn from what's archived in all the SS subforums, and for even more new people to contribute what they know and are doing so we regulars can enjoy and learn from that.

So what do you think?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great thread! :thumbsup

We're definitely game for things to:

1) Increase new members
2) Re-engage old members

One thing we need to do (and I'm TERRIBLE at) is putting out a newsletter. It's a TON of work, but we should do them often to keep peeps up to date with the going-ons of the site and community!

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This IS a great site with friendly members. I'm relatively new and haven't posted a lot, but I do read on a daily basis. The reason I don't post much is because I can lose myself time-wise and my time management goes out the window. I hope no one thinks I don't appreciate the good folks here, but it is simply self-preservation that keeps me from writing and posting more. I imagine that we, as a whole, are very active with home, hearth, yard, animals and gardens--in addition to perhaps employment outside the home. For me personally, I find I can't afford the impact on my home responsiblities that comes from spending too much time on the forum!

Jill

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree I have a friend that was spending time on a over fifty singles site and I told her that she would get far more enjoyment out of SS. And fewer headaches :lol:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
txcanoegirl said:
This IS a great site with friendly members. I'm relatively new and haven't posted a lot, but I do read on a daily basis. The reason I don't post much is because I can lose myself time-wise and my time management goes out the window. I hope no one thinks I don't appreciate the good folks here, but it is simply self-preservation that keeps me from writing and posting more. I imagine that we, as a whole, are very active with home, hearth, yard, animals and gardens--in addition to perhaps employment outside the home. For me personally, I find I can't afford the impact on my home responsiblities that comes from spending too much time on the forum!

Jill
Jill, you got the intent of my post slightly wrong. You've been great as a member here... posting quite a bit. I'm not wanting to cause anybody to feel guilty. We do have posting members. No shame on anybody here.

I just think we need more members. When a forum site gets to a certain level of membership, the interaction among people creates greater interaction... a lot more info, fresh ideas, and creativity come forth. A wider range of topics get dealt with. Etc.

My question was: how could we encourage more people to join?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Maybe Nifty should pull up his pants leg and show a lil skin :lol:

This time of year folks with our mindset are particularly busy jumping through hoops to get projects under way and all kinds of stuff. I don't know if there is much we CAN do to get it going stronger, other than just be available for newbies and help them get ideas to get started and such like we've always done :hu I'm game for any ideas though, if anyone can think of any, because it has all but lost it's pulse around here and it's getting boring lately :/

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I might not be popular after this, but the core members mostly post on their journals. :hide While I enjoy the journals, much information is lost in pages and pages of journal instead of entered under a more precise heading. If I need a home remedy, I want to look under Natural Remedies instead of sifting through a journal where I read it, but now can't remember where. I know I can do a general search for key words, but that is sifting through pages of posts as well. We have a great group here and I love SS. :love

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
I might not be popular after this, but the core members mostly post on their journals. :hide While I enjoy the journals, much information is lost in pages and pages of journal instead of entered under a more precise heading. If I need a home remedy, I want to look under Natural Remedies instead of sifting through a journal where I read it, but now can't remember where. I know I can do a general search for key words, but that is sifting through pages of posts as well. We have a great group here and I love SS. :love
You put into words what I was thinking. I don't read the journals either and found that the threads way back in the archives are much more "helpful" when looking for certain things. I started out here by lurking and not joining and reading the older threads and when I found I had something to ask or say I joined but there is a big difference between threads on certain subjects and having to sift thru pages and pages of journal to find posts on what it is you remember reading.
Not that I don't peek every so often and that I don't like the members who journal. I do.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
baymule said:
You put into words what I was thinking. I don't read the journals either and found that the threads way back in the archives are much more "helpful" when looking for certain things. I started out here by lurking and not joining and reading the older threads and when I found I had something to ask or say I joined but there is a big difference between threads on certain subjects and having to sift thru pages and pages of journal to find posts on what it is you remember reading.
Not that I don't peek every so often and that I don't like the members who journal. I do.
Same here

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sparks said:
Emerald said:
baymule said:
Same here
Same here. I never read the journals.
I come here to learn and share ideas for self sufficiency and certainly not to read someone's personal journal. As a result I find myself checking in here about once a week for only a few minutes. In my opinion we have totally lost a great website discussion group.