Let's bring in some new members!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
txcanoegirl said:
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in...and that's about all it's worth! :)

I think the forum is nicely set up, and the categories are well-defined. To some, that may be a plus. For me, it is somewhat of a negative. There are so many categories that I have to search and scroll just trying to figure out where to post a new thread or where to read up on a topic of interest. In my opinion (for what it's worth), that's too many categories. Even though I can go to a specific section to find topics, the result is that I don't read as many threads. If there were fewer categories, I might read through more of the threads, or at least skim them, even the ones that don't apply to me. I'm a member of a few forums that have as few as 1-3 categories. The one with only one category is a little too encompassing, but the ones with only a few categories seem to work well. You can see post topics at a glance, and click on the ones of interest. If you're looking for something specific, a good search engine works wonders. I think you'd have more people posting than lurking if you had more people reading more of the posts and replies. This answer sort of belongs in the lurkers thread, but I put in here because of the discussion of additional sections.

Jill
FWIW, I don't read the sections at all--when I login I just click on "recent posts" at the top and it lists everything in order that it was posted, highlighting what's new since I was last online :)

Huge timesaver.

But when I want to actually start a thread, then I have to do some serious thinking about where it belongs :rolleyes:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Moolie, I do the same. And that's why I'm glad to see the Random Ramblings section added. There's so many thing that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, so I think it's a big plus.

Jubilee101.com

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm fairly new here but I used to "lurk" this site and have noticed that currently there are 67 guests and 2 registered users online. I belong to several other similar forums and have noticed the same thing. Not sure why so many choose to look and not join. In fact I don't really know why I didn't join sooner. The people are out there though.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think a lot of people lurk for a while because so many forums don't deliver what they promise. You get rudeness, flaming, trolling... or the forum is nearly moribund because no one posts regularly so it's boring to read... So people wait to see if there's something they want to comment on, before they join.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I think a lot of people lurk for a while because so many forums don't deliver what they promise. You get rudeness, flaming, trolling... or the forum is nearly moribund because no one posts regularly so it's boring to read... So people wait to see if there's something they want to comment on, before they join.
I agree with what you've said.

And still it seems pretty obvious that only if people do make so bold as to participate can a forum be worth being a part of. Everybody benefits from people sharing their experience and knowledge.

When it comes to SS and what it can be or could be, I think the personal journals are great. But at the same time the topic subforums concerned with the whole sphere of life (food, shelter, clothing, transportation, neighborly relations, on and on) are the places where a forum like this has to be really active.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I know my own activity varies from time to time. Sometimes I just get so busy in other areas of my life that I don't have time to put as much time into some of my other interests as others.

... with that said, yes, a community (whether it be a forum, church, neighborhood, company, etc.) relies on activity and great friendly communication.

Sun & Moon

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I can't speak for why new members joined, but what attracted me to SufficientSelf was BYC's format change. Being a former BYC member, I was very glad to see that SS had a livestock section where chicken questions could be looked up, the detail that could be searched, the better features, and that the colors are much easier on the eyes. Despite it's lack of activity, the fantastic information on SS is still a great resource. :)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey, Welcome, Sun & Moon! I understand what you are saying about BYC, and I agree. So you have chickens? Tell us about them, and a little about yourself, if you don't mind. what area are you in? country or town? Single? Kids? Retired?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Britesea said:
I agree with what you've said.

And still it seems pretty obvious that only if people do make so bold as to participate can a forum be worth being a part of. Everybody benefits from people sharing their experience and knowledge.

When it comes to SS and what it can be or could be, I think the personal journals are great. But at the same time the topic subforums concerned with the whole sphere of life (food, shelter, clothing, transportation, neighborly relations, on and on) are the places where a forum like this has to be really active.
To be honest I never could see where the personal journals had anything to do with SS or to put it another way if you are SS why would you feel the need for a public [personal] journal on the internet.
I have slowly learned the accepted bias of this forum [I expect to get disagreement but I have refused to join the Green Church (and will not drink the Kool Aid)] so I don't post on many subjects. Many think I am rude but there really isn't a polite way to point out the differences on a disagreement. Once you are all in agreement there will be no purpose for this forum to exist.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
To be honest I never could see where the personal journals had anything to do with SS or to put it another way if you are SS why would you feel the need for a public [personal] journal on the internet.
I have slowly learned the accepted bias of this forum [I expect to get disagreement but I have refused to join the Green Church (and will not drink the Kool Aid)] so I don't post on many subjects. Many think I am rude but there really isn't a polite way to point out the differences on a disagreement. Once you are all in agreement there will be no purpose for this forum to exist.
Personally, I doubt everyone here would ever come into agreement on everything, or even agreement in terms of some sort of "basics". But I feel the SS forums can offer a means of useful communication even without homogenized philosophical thinking.

I know I can learn from people of diverse philosophies and experience. If there's a topic focus (i.e., ask a well-focused question, get replies - or explain some aspect of your own experience for others to learn from, or at least consider), then the SS functions usefully.

I don't keep a personal journal here myself. Keeping an online journal is something quite a number of people here like to do - it was already happening to quite an extent when I became a member of the forum, so I've accepted it as "a given". Personally, I'm not out to eliminate any activity in the SS. I'd rather see more activity in some of the topic forums where more technical discussion would add value.