Lets talk about First Aid kits.............

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
A very important part of being self sufficient, is being able to handle minor emergencies. The wife and I just took a tour through the big First Aid cabinet that I keep in my shop, and have decided to update it with a few more things. Do any of you have suture kits in your homes, and if so,where did you get them? Do you know of anyplace that will sell you Novocaine?? I have done a couple of interesting google searches, but haven't pinned down what we I want yet.

Any inputs as to quality and quantities of stuff that you have on hand???

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
It appears that Novocaine (procaine hydrochloride) is a prescription drug. Maybe you can find a doctor that will prescribe it for a first aid kit. Hard to say though, it is some pretty potent stuff.

There are over the counter anesthetics.

TrioCaine might be what you would want.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
In a pinch, Chloraseptic throat spray or even Ambesol gum oint can work as a numbing agent. I don't know of any doc that would prescribe this for you, but maybe a vet? A lot of folks do their own animal's minor surgery and seem to be on good terms with their vets in this endeavor.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
...I never thought about the Vet...

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
It appears that Novocaine (procaine hydrochloride) is a prescription drug. Maybe you can find a doctor that will prescribe it for a first aid kit. Hard to say though, it is some pretty potent stuff.

There are over the counter anesthetics.

TrioCaine might be what you would want.
The only thing bad about TrioCaine, is they make it fresh when you order it, and it only has a 6 month shelf life. Bummer.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do have a small suture kit...geesh, I have had it for some time now, not sure where I got it. My thoughts are...if I need to suture up someone here...they will be hurting bad enough form the injury...they probably wont need pain meds. Nothing a good clean rag in the mouth cant handle. :p I once had to get 3 stitches in my foot, when I dropped a blade at work, and it landed square in my foot! Of course the boss made me go to the hospital...and insisted I get stitches. ( its a work thing I guess) When the Dr said I needed 3 stitches...and he wanted to give me a shot for the pain..I declined. Now, before you think anything...NO, I am NOT a super woman. Those shots HURT like the dickens!! The stitches only pinch a little. My boss had to leave the room...LOL I had to go back to work...and before I was settled in my position...everyone knew I got stitches without pain meds. Everyone called me crazy for not taking the shot. OK, Liquid fire....or a pinch...you decide!? Wasnt hard for me!

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Finally, a topic where I don't have a lot of catch up. Some helpful mouth numbing agents (I was going to say numb-ers, but it came out as numbers. oops) are "Magic mouthwash" (I got mine as a prescription when I had a sore throat) and another is "Kank+a", which is 20% benzocaine. Don't know what is in the mouthwash. The bottle didn't say. Maybe pure adrenaline? :idunno:lol:

Another good resource would be backpacking forums, as some of them keep their first aid kits stocked for a long time. Backpacker magazine has a guy called Medicine Man (I forgot his real name) that probably has some very useful information.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is a great topic. I noticed on another thread meds were mentioned. What should I have on hand. Does someone have a basic list and what they might be used for. Antibiotics and vicodin are pretty self explanatory but what else? I think I will pack myself some Ativan!!!:D

I have a basic first aide kit, ok maybe a bit more than basic. But I am sure there is room for improvement.

All jokes aside, somebody make a list. Then I can work on finding the stuff. g

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
clstratton said:
Another good resource would be backpacking forums, as some of them keep their first aid kits stocked for a long time. Backpacker magazine has a guy called Medicine Man (I forgot his real name) that probably has some very useful information.
Buck Tilton. I don't know if he is still with Backpacker but he does have a website. He is considered an expert in wilderness medicine which would transfer readily into self sufficiency.

http://www.bucktilton.com/

Latest posts