Lets talk about First Aid kits.............

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just posted this on another thread. You can purchase what your heart desires here. Check out the top two sites. I've purchased medicine in Mexico many times. Its good stuff. Made by the same companies as meds from the US.

What will also be needed is the know how.

http://opioids.com/offshorepharmacy/mex index.html

I recommend:

Bactrim DS - can cure most MRSA wound infections (but certainly not all), as well as bladder infections and other skin infections.
Doxycycline - especially if you live in Lyme areas. A four week supply for one person with tick bite. 100mg 2 x day. You may not be able to get a lyme test which you can't do until week 6 from exposure. My rule..you have a tick bite you take Doxy. It you wait for a test you may have already developed chronic lyme. Can be used for a wide variety of upper respiratory infections, like any tetracycline drug.
Cipro - broad spectrum. Don't use it unless you must. Cures anthrax. for bacterial infecion of gut, like the Mexcian trots that don't resolve on its own use 500mg 2x day for 3 to 4 days.
Amoxicillin - good for throat infections.

I also think that a small stash of prednisone is good. I remember when my son had mono. His tonsils swelled so big he could not swallow water.
One day of prednesone and it was gone. 10mg. x2 days, 5mg x2 day. 2.5 x1 day then stop was the order the doc gave....but I never follow directions...we did 10mg x1 day, 5mg x1 day, 2.5x 1 day and that was it. It needs to be tapered to prevent a rebound effect.

But I have a whole world of natural remedies to try first, except for the Lyme. Got a bite? Do the Doxy for one month. 100 mg 2 x a day

For natural remedies I keep:

Lugols iodine
Colloidal Silver - I have a silver generator
Grapefruit Seed Extract
Oregano Oil
MMS
Homeopathic Kit of remedies
Vitamin C 1,000 mg tablets
Gential Violet
Boric Acid
Rubbing Alcohol
Hydrogen Peroxide
Milk of Mag
Epsom Salts
DMSO
Empty capsules

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm thinking I could brush up on basic first aid. Whenever one of my animals gets injured, I always go into a bit of shock/panic and kind of run around freaking out and trying to think what to do. When I told my husband this, he was surprised and said I always seem to take charge and do the right thing. But I think it would help to know for sure what to do, instead of just flying by the seat of my pants.

In particular I'm thinking I should re-learn the whole turnaquet (sp?) scenario. Frankly, I think I would be intimidated to do that, but it would help to at least know when and what to do. . . .

Any thoughts from anyone? I know at least one person here has a medical background.

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There are several items I'd add to my first aid kit- and I was originally thinking about these things for my own livestock. Certainly they could be added to a human first aid kit.

There have been times when I needed syringes and needles...several sizes for different critters needs...big syringes for squirting water into a mouth or meds into a wound.

I lost a llama to choke last year- a throat tube (and the knowledge to use it) could have saved her as the vet didn't show up for hours. The only tube I could find at a feed store was for lambs- not long enough. I know it takes experience to use these, but it you need it, there's no time to call or drive around to find one.

Have also needed a scalpel a couple of times. An Exacto knife just wasn't the thing...

and finally, a canvas with handles attached for carrying people or downed animals to different locations. If making your own gurney, it would be a good idea to sew loops on either side so you could slide poles into them if needed.

Latest posts