Let's talk about recycling canning jars..........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I just scored a BIG BUNCH of jars from an older customer of mine. a LOT of them are old mayonnaise jars that she said she has canned in for years. They are all wide mouth and canning lids fit perfect on them. Anyone else have any experience with old mayo jars for canning?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't know about re-using them for canning, but I use old jars for storing home made mixes etc. in my pantry.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use old mayo jars all the time. Never had a problem yet so long as you follow the basics of wiping each jar rim and heating up seals first.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you ask a by-the-book canning expert, they will tell you to never use old mayonaise or any other kind of jar that was made for grocery store items because the glass isn't strong enough to endure the canning process. Of course, there's also lots of people out there that say they use them and they work. I guess it's your call, but I'd definitely be careful using them. I definitely would not use them for pressue canning. I'm guilty of using one kind of recycled jar. The spaghetti sauce, pesto, and salsa I buy all come in Mason jars that appear to be true canning jars, so I do save them and use them in water bath canning.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
My mother used to use mayonaise jars all the time. I'll use them if I run out of canning jars. There is a higher percentage of breakage, so you might end up with a mess in your canner. But that's pretty easy to clean up as long as you're careful with the glass. I had a proper canning jar break on me last summer, but not the recycled jars.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Most of my canning is pressure canning which I do all year round. I'm canning today though I'm kicking myself because it's about 70 degrees here and I'd rather be outside messing around. I use whatever jars I can get hold of that fit the lids plus I'm at 6800 feet so I'm using higher pressure and I've never had a jar break. I can about 800 jars a year.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My understanding is that *old* old mayonnaise jars are constructed of better glass (thicker? tempered? I have no idea) and at least when they were young are less of a problem than *modern* glass jars from supermarket shelves.

Personally, I *would* use them for canning given their history; you just have to think that there *may* be a bit higher risk of breakage or failure to seal as compared to Mason jars. (Or, if they've done well all these years and not been knocked around or chipped, it may not be much of a difference)

It *is* a real nuisance to have a jar break though, in the waterbath is messy enough (the glass shards become invisible) but breaking when you are taking it out and setting it onto the counter to cool would *really* kind of suck :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas! There is about 300 jars in all and about 1/2 are the old mayo jars. I got these only because another friend needed some jars, and I just did not know if she could safely use them. I don't have to tell you guys that I am already pretty well stocked up in the canning department. :D
I just couldn't see letting them go to the trash....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I have a question maybe some of you could help with. I recently picked up a few dozen old quart mason jars. My problem is they were stored outside with lids and bands on. The jars all cleaned up well except for some faint staining from rust. It's on the threads on some jars. Is this a problem. Any sugesstions on removing it?

Sorry SKR8PN I did not intend to hijack your thread.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If the rust is only on the *threads* not on the top of the rim where the lid seats onto, I would not worry overmuch. The only purpose of the lid ring is to hold the lid on snugly while the product is being processed in the canner, you know? So as long as you can tighten a ring finger-tight with the jars in their present condition, I would not worry.

Make sure to inspect the top of the rim, where the lid seats on, very closely for any chips or persistant crud, though, because that will make a big difference in your failure rate.

JMO,

Pat