Let's talk about tables

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne started a valuable thread here. I realize that she was interested in a fold-down or drop-down design that could be essentially removed from the shop's floor space. This isn't really about that type of design.

But this is a very amazing design for an outdoor workbench, one that would be portable (at least in your pickup), pretty quickly set up, and once set up makes a lot of things convenient and easy. Especially cutting full sheets of plywood... but lots of other things too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJoGTf6KL8s&feature=g-vrec

The vid is worth watching even if you feel (as I do) that the bench is more sophisticaed than you usually require. Because you could adapt certain features of this design, even if you didn't want to build it exactly like how the guy has.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm horrible.. I went and bought two of the heavy duty fold in half 6foot long tables for my son's open house(my mother bought two also) I had the money they were on sale and I do not regret it one bit. they are light weight but so much sturdier than my old card tables and I do put them down and they go right away into their spot in the spare room.
my regular dining room table has a spotless top(there is so much stuff on it that it never sees the light of day so no scratches or dust haha)
I've had those tables for 3 years now and we take them everywhere and use them all the time..

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
that is a sweet work bench joel !! love how simple the design is, just from the vid i can scribble up some plans and turn one out with a couple of sheets of plywood and a bit of hardware. i'll use it with a much stouter table saw, and incorperate an under table router mount to utilize the fence for shaping projects. i know you dig the metal projects but i've been a woodworker all my life, (i do metal at work cause i have to) for me dragging out the stick welder and the torch is a chore. it's so inprecise compared to cabinet work. i can see putting another 4x8, 2' tall make-work table on the long axis to make a 16' complete workstation. you got my hamster working on this one. you are the king of u-tube vids!

cheers

doc

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
doc_gonzo said:
i know you dig the metal projects but i've been a woodworker all my life, (i do metal at work cause i have to) for me dragging out the stick welder and the torch is a chore. it's so inprecise compared to cabinet work.
I like steel because of its durability and strength-to-weight ratio. Obviously, for some functions, you can make something that does a job very elegantly from steel, that would necessarily be clunky if made from wood. And especially with outdoor functions, since weather can often be hard on wooden things, eventually.

Example (though not steel): lawn furniture tended to be made from wood until sometime in the 1950s, when aluminum frames became common - not only lighter in weight but, treated properly, they lasted longer in the sun/rain.

But I love wood, and (if not under pressure, timewise) I enjoy doing carpentry. Shelter a wooden building under a good roof, with enough overhang, and it won't rot away too quickly!

doc_gonzo said:
you are the king of u-tube vids!
You know what I think? I think the people that put up Youtube how-to vids are kind-hearted, generous folks! With vids, all I do is just find 'em and share 'em.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! Pretty nice table! DH watched the video, too.

This has many features that I like, well designed and thought out.