Lights Out Last Night?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I opened the windows and cranked the furnace, the air conditioner, the space heaters, plugged in and ran every small appliance I could find, turned on all the lights and every tv in the house, the flood lights outside, the pond pump, the heat lamp in the brooder, the incubator, and dusted off the electric leaf blower and plugged that in too. I could have come up with a few more things, but I was too busy trying to see if I had any old spray cans that still had CFC's in it so I could spray that at the same time.

Reaction score
That's an expensive way to flip the bird at Mother Earth. should have let your water run all day too.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I never knew about it because I'm saving energy each day by not watching TV and rarely turning on my computer(except, of course to read about you guys!) or radio. I also do not buy newspapers but will peruse one at the library when I go there. All of these steps allow me to conserve energy all the time anyway......so.....moot point! :lol: :D

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Last night was world wide Earth Hour where people, cities and nations were encouraged to turn out their lights for one hour at 8:30 pm around the planet. Many cities in Europe did it. We did it at our house, but not one neighbor.

Anyone else? even hear about it? It was on CNN.
We did participate but only cause dd insisted, she has to do a report on what they did during the hour for class (teacher is gonna love her report :) ). We played Scrabble. We also made sure that she understood our opposition to it - simply that we have strived for the last 6 months (that's when things clicked for us) to change our energy consumption (not just hydro but natural gas, gas, water, etc.) so we don't need a special hour to do it. And also we truly believe that for many of the people that observed the hour last night in a week will not think twice about how they use or try to change their usage. If everyone that participated last night tried to change their usage we wouldn't have a need for a specially reserved hour.

Reaction score
Actually I think the cost of fuel and electricity has done more than anything to reduce consumption and make people more aware of waste.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, my DH is a light-a-holic. When I come home from work I go around the house and start turning things off............

16 lights in the kitchen
3 in the hall
3 in the bathroom
2 in the bedroom
6 in the dining room
3 in the front living room
3 in his office area
1 or 2 on the deck

then the TV room with just the TV
and 1 lamp
:ep

all this for just him, while home alone.
It has been a bone of contention for many years!:rant

So when Earth Hour came around
we talked about it and I was so shocked to
see that he got into it...kept tract of the time
went around and turned stuff off..or rather told me too...
lit a candle.

Of course a few years ago I replaced most
everything with CFL
and now, next comes LED

As retirement encroaches upon our lifestyle
I am hoping he will get more economical

So far, for him, its not been in reducing lighting
but in making lighting choices that are more cost effective.

Hard reality will smack him when I quit working next year too!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, some people just NEED light, I mean they crave it, everything around them has to be brightly lit. Without it they feel depressed. I know that's how I am, maybe that is why he is the way he is

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm like that in the daytime, Morel, but at night I like a cozy table lamp instead of an overhead light. Artificial lights seem to hurt my eyes....must be all that time being raised with kerosene lamps! :p

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm kind of wondering if there will be a baby-boomlet in about 9 months.... That wouldn't do much to save energy.

If there is a baby boomlet, they'll have to try a campaign to leave the lights on :lol: