Limping Hen

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I went out late this afternoon with some treats for the girls and noticed one of *the twins is limping. I picked her up and took a look, didn't see anything wrong. So naturally I had to grab a cold one and go sit and chicken watch for a bit to get a feel for how she is doing. ...hard job but someone had to do it! She seems fine, aside from the limp...she is getting around, hobbling/hopping along with the others looking for snacks.

As to the twin factor, that raises another question. I ordered 3 black Australorpes. Two of them look identical, hence the nick name the twins. The third is quite a bit taller than the twins and the EEers (all 4 are about the same size, but the aussies look plumper) Lurch (her nickname) is a lot taller and does not have the same comb and wattles and the twins. Add to my confusion about these three is that one of the twins has mustard yellow bottoms of her feet....which I read means that she is a Jersey Giant, but not only is she not a giant she is identical to the other aussie who has peachy colored bottoms. I am thinking that Lurch is not an aussie, she is taller and has kind of an goofy lanky look. Any ideas?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You'll need to post pictures. Not that I will have a clue, but I will enjoy looking at them!!!

Don't you just love "chicken therapy?" That's what dh and I call sitting out by the fence and watching the girls.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace that does sound like a hard but most needed job to take on. I am going to go out and do that job as well. I have a couple of cold ones waiting in the fridge for the work I am going to do.

I too would love to see photos! I love the name "Lurch"!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Lurch is probably a BJG and the twins...Uh..I'm guessing Black Australorps??

OR Lurch just grew quicker?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
A Jersy Black Giant will have black legs, yellow foot pads, and very dark brown eyes.

Australorps have reddish or orange-ish eyes, don't they?

I have a JBG hen, but I have never had an Australorp.

ETA: your limper may have hurt herself jumping down from the roost. Keep an eye on her. If it doesn't improve, I would isolate her and give her an Epsom salts soak.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
OK here we go...
7-23-09056.jpg

One of the twins

7-23-09055.jpg

The other twin

7-23-09082.jpg

Lurch

7-23-09086.jpg

Lurch and Kelly as a comparison