Limping Hen

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
But Kel she looks exactly like the other twin, who has a peachy foot.

Could she be a mix and only picked up the yellow feet? She and the other twin are exactly the same size and look identical.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I would think a mix would go to the white foot pad, not the yellow.

I have one Jersey Black Giant hen, Lou. I have one of her offspring, but Dolley is half Golden Campine, and I never thought to check to see what color her foot pads are.

Jerseys are very slow to mature. So it could be that they are the same size now, but the JBG may out grow the other hen down the road. Lou weighs ~10 pounds now.

What color are their eyes? The JBG has very dark brown eyes.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thier eyes are dark...again both the same. I will try to take a closer look at the eyes tomorrow. But here are more pics.

07-23-09001.jpg

twin 1
07-23-09005.jpg

twin 2

07-23-09010.jpg

Lurch
Please ignore my terrible unattractive double chin!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an assortment of hens, 2 of which are Jersey Giants and 1 is an Austrolorp. One of the giants has the clasic yellow foot bottoms while the other is more black/peach mottled. My Austrolorp has black/gray foot bottom. Without looking at their feet I can tell them apart by their combs. My Jersey Giants have a smaller comb (not a pea or rose comb) than my Austrlorp. My Giants are about 7 months old and the Austrolorp is 3 years old but their body size is about the same.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Dace, I have learned that when you are posting pictures of chickens, most people don't realize that there is a person in the pictures too! ;)

Dace, your birds are very beautiful and healthy looking!

Thanks, VT-Chicklit! That was informative. So do you suppose from those pics that it is possible that Dace actually has 3 JBGs?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Unless you have reason to believe that all the chickens in question are purebred-and-from-show-lines, I don't think it pays to get real attached to the supposed meaning of one or two characteristics. Just cuz a breed standard says that X is supposed to have trait Y does not mean that everything sold as X will have that or that nothing sold as Z will have the trait.

Realistically, a huge fraction of chickens in the world have mixed-breed parentage in their fairly recent past, and it seems like an awful lot of people keeping/breeding/selling "breed X" are not actually culling closely to the standard. So, you can get all sorts of things.

They're pretty hens though, and I hope the limp goes away soon :)

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for looking and offering input.
Pat you of course, are absoutely right, it really does not matter the breed but naturally I am curios ;)

Twin 1 (yellowfoot) is still limping. I can not see anything wrong with her foot. Anything I should do or watch for? She is eating and keeping up with the others , so I assume those are the key issues to keep an eye on.

Lurch....what is Lurch? She does not look like the twins at all and I would like to try to figure out what she could be. If she is an Aussie why no comb or wattles? Why does she clearly look so different that the other two?

It seems to me that WHATEVER they are, the twins are one breed and Lurch (her real name is Baby) is something else.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Couldn't she just be developing slower than the others? She's not laying yet, is she? She just looks young to me. I betcha she'll sprout big fairly-nromal comb and wattles once puberty hits :)

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Couldn't she just be developing slower than the others? She's not laying yet, is she? She just looks young to me. I betcha she'll sprout big fairly-nromal comb and wattles once puberty hits :)

Pat
Really? One the same age could be that far behind?

I guess I could buy that...but if she is less developed why would she be so much bigger? I guess nature just has it's own plans :/

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your chickens are gorgeous. I love the shiny black feathers. I want one with all black feathers. :love

About the limp, I was thinking maybe she stepped on something that could have injured her foot. Try looking very closely at the feet for splinters or maybe a claw injury. If that is OK, I would consider a leg or hip problem, something of that nature. I need to learn more about chicken anatomy and bone structure. With a little over a year of chicken experience, that is my best guess. ;)

Latest posts