lipoptena, a smalholder in Sweden

lipoptena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
7 years ago we got our self a smallholding in western Sweden. It's about 20 acres. We got it after having rented a cottage for a couple of years, a cottage in the woodlands of south central Sweden. We, that is me, my wife, a daughter and a son.

We started with some sheep, expanded with poultry, tried pigs for a while. Now we're back to a small herd och sheep. The most recent addition to the farm is a puppy, who hopefully will become an excelent hunting companion. It's a german hunting terrier, a multi functional race. Known for its subterran capacity as well as being able to tackle wild boar and fetch bird. As you realise I enjoy hunting. The meat we consume are of course game and sheep.

Both me and my wife are interested in craft. I am a trained blacksmith but work as archaeologist. Most animals I slaghter or hunt are skinned and both skin and meat are used in some way or another.

We are far from self sufficient, but struggling to become more and more by each year. The stuff we cant produce purself are preferably brought at the local market.

Time to put the small ones to sleep. Ill get back later on. And Ill produce some pictures as soon as Im allowed....

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to the forum! :frow

I wanted to be an archeologist, when I was a kid. Not sure why I didn't pursue it as I find the field fascinating!

Make yourself at home here and enjoy!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Small world I was interested in archaeology too as a child :) Welcome lipoptena!

lipoptena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks.

We realised that we will not have the time to shear our sheep this spring, therefore we just made an appointment with a pro. He will come on wednesday and shear our small herd. Hopefully Ill learn something new and usefull.

lipoptena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
P1030126.JPG

a picture of my farm taken from the north.

lipoptena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lipoptena said:
Thanks.

We realised that we will not have the time to shear our sheep this spring, therefore we just made an appointment with a pro. He will come on wednesday and shear our small herd. Hopefully Ill learn something new and usefull.
Shearing is done now. I didn't learn anything I didn't know before. Maybe I saved some time, but it cost me some money. I'll do it myself this autumn. As usual.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know that feeling! I've gone to lectures, expecting to learn something only to have it be stuff I already know. I had one lecture where I actually had to correct the person!