liquid laundry soap

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think Myzanya is in Canada, and up here the only "laundry" bar soap is Sunlight--it works well though :)

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hummh...maybe I will look a bit closer 4 it...
I had just been using some recycled hotel soaps..as they seemed easier to grate..
good tip about the brands thanks.
Hi moolie...yes..not sure we get the same selections...

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I ended up using 2 bars of the Dr. Bronner's soap, the unscented baby mild soap instead of the fels-naptha in the most recent batch. It bubbles a bit more than the naptha does, but it seems to work just as good, with no real adjustments to the recipe or cleaning. I also noticed that it seems to have 'geled' a bit more, and that it is a little on the lumpy side, even when I stir it, but it works just fine!

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mariane,
I just put the vinegar in with the detergent. I used to put it in the fabric softener cup but noticed that it drained right out into the tub anyway.

Regarding odors that the soap doesn't always get out, I wait to smell the clothing until it comes out of the drier as that gets rid of odors.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just picked up some Fels Naptha from the WallyWorld down the road for 97 cents. I love that stuff. I first encountered it while looking for an alternative stain remover. It works great rubbed directly on a stain, like a dirty sock. And it smells nice.

I'm making my first batch of detergent tonight and am looking forward to using it.

One more thing.... I saw the question about using oils in the detergent and I saw someone say that they use them in the softener only. Should I not add oils to the detergent at all?

hqueen13

Reaction score
dma1974 I add my oils right to the bucket before I finish mixing in all the ingredients. I think I add about 50 drops of whatever oil I prefer, we've used lavendar, but I have also used citrus.

I am going to have to try the fels naptha for stain remover, I've been looking for something more natural than the liquid chemical concoction from the store! Do you wet the item, and then rub the bar???

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also found the fels naptha at wal mart for .97

When you add it to the water on the stove does it kinda clump up on you also? Didn't know if I did something wrong or?? Took forever to melt those clumps down. I am sure it was fine enuff, put it threw food processer after grating.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
dma1974 I add my oils right to the bucket before I finish mixing in all the ingredients. I think I add about 50 drops of whatever oil I prefer, we've used lavendar, but I have also used citrus.

I am going to have to try the fels naptha for stain remover, I've been looking for something more natural than the liquid chemical concoction from the store! Do you wet the item, and then rub the bar???
Yes, I wet them (or whatever I'm removing a stain from) under the water of the washer and rub it right on. Then I do a little scrub by rubbing the fabric together, then wet it again a little under the washer spout. I do that a few times, all under the washer spout and all comes out nice :) The only thing it wouldn't touch is dried acrylic paint.

I keep my bar wrapped in wax paper on the shelf when I'm not using it.

I just made a batch, do you think I could add the oil to it now? It's still warm.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Funny Farm6-

At first it did. Kinda like cheese does when you first start melting it. It didn't start to really goop and separate till I added the Borax and WS. Added more hot water and it smoothed out.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Well, dma, its now tomorrow, so I am sure it is cold, so no I wouldn't add it :p
While it was still warm and fairly liquid (before it gels) I'm sure you would be fine.
So the question now is, did you??