liquid laundry soap

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Made a batch of scented cold process soap to test it out. Hopefully it leaves some scent in the clothes. DEFINATELY strips the sin out of your hands when you wash with it, so I'm sure it'll work wonders on the clothes as well, lol.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
Here is what I use:
1 bar Fels Naptha grated fine
3 cups Washing Soda
3 cups Borax
1 cup Baking Soda

I whirl the soap and baking soda together in my food processor to make it even finer. Then I add to the rest, mix well and put in a tub by the washer. I use a rounded tablespoon full and a glug of vinegar with each load. This does not foam up so it is great for HE machines. If the load is rely dirty I put twice as much detergent in.

If you are looking for liquid, get a 5 gallon bucket. Fill it half way with warm water. Dissolve the powder in about 2 quarts of hot water. Add to the bucket and add enough additional water to get within an inch or do of the top of the bucket. It will gel as it cools and must be mixed up.

Several of us have moved from using tge liquid to just using the powder as storage for all that liquid can get cumbersome. Powder is easy and takes up very little space. I used to swear by liquid, but I lived in a bigger house then.
Alright someone pointed out in another thread that Borax is actually toxic to the environment over time through a septic system. Last thing I want to do is harm the environment with my laundry soap... :-/
Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?
I'm still working on my 5 gallon bucket of detergent, once that is gone then I'll switch to a different recipe.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eh, all laundry recipes I've seen use the Borax. You could attempt just excluding it from the recipe... The soap and washing soda (maybe some baking soda as well) should wash your laundry just fine. Try pre-treating with your soap bar and see if that helps to keep stains away.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I was seeing, too, Bettacreek. I guess a bit of extra baking soda and a little more washing soda should work.
I have been using my naptha bar for stains, and it has worked very well... with the exception of my work polo shirt. I dripped some grease from something I was eating on it, and the first run through the washer (cold water only always) it didn't get treated, and then this run through the washer I remembered to rub the bar on it, but it still doesn't look like it has come out. My work polos are never dried, either, so I know that isn't the issue...
Not that it is a big deal, I think we're getting new shirts soon, which would be nice as the quality of these has been terrible.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard that eucalyptus oil gets rid of grease stains in clothing. Have never tried it though. I should get a scrap of fabric and test that theory out...

hqueen13

Reaction score
Hmmm... well, I have eucalyptus... And I do know that Lemon Oil gets grease off and sticky off of things. I wonder if it would work for fabric, too?
Maybe I'll wait until we get new shirts before I ruin this one :p

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol. If you have a scrap of fabric at your disposal, try getting some grease on it, then try some "remedies" for it. I'd do it, but I don't have any scrap fabric here. Don't think the boyfriend would appreciate me using any of his clothes to test anything out... :/

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, and to save everyone a lot of time... Try plunking your chunk of soap in your bucket of water. Give yourself plenty of time for the water to soak into the soap and dissolve it. Stir it every day or so. It'll eventually dissolve with much less effort.

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Where do you get your EO for scents? Store, online? Which brand is best? Thanks!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Smokin Silkies said:
Where do you get your EO for scents? Store, online? Which brand is best? Thanks!
I'll be short here since this isn't the main topic but only related...
I actually use my oils for more than just aromatherapy - I use them for the health benefits and healing qualities that they have. I not only use them aromatically, but also topically, and internally. So I only purchase really high quality oils. Oils that can be found at health stores and the like are often much lower quality, and frequently contain as little as 5% of the oil listed on the label (the legal requirement to be sold as an "essential oil" in the US), and up to 95% carrier oil or chemical substitute for the oil. That is why you find such a huge range of pricing for the oils.
If you'd like to know more, feel free to send me a message.