liquid laundry soap

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wash everything in cold water. Better for our bills, and really, things get just as clean.

Been buying liquid detergent ... one for kid and hubby, and a different one for me because i'm allergic to a chemical that's found in almost every detergent, cleaning products, soap, lotion, shampoo, etc. It's VERY expensive, so I'm trying to find an alternate, things that I can grow here to clean my clothes.

Need to look up ingredients in the Fels naptha.

I add vinegar to every load of laundry. It kills bacteria. Wondering if I can use it alone in the wash cycle, instead of liquid soap? (BTW: I have powdered: never seems to disintegrate so I end up with powder on everything.) Also use vinegar with tea tree oil as my "hand sanitizer" ... carry it with me in my purse plus have some at kitchen sink and my bathroom sink.

Already plan to use soapwort (roots) to make my shampoo and soap. I'd like to use that to make laundry detergent but it goes bad fast so I'd be making a batch every week. I don't have that kind of time.

We don't get disgustingly dirty here. Just a teen with horrible BO and sometimes goat or chicken poop, goat afterbirth, and mud. I wash them on a longer cycle anyway.

So ... do you think I can just use vinegar? (Will be making our own apple cider vinegar within 5 years or so ... come on, apple trees, grow!). Maybe add to the vinegar some concentrated homemade rose water or lavender water or mint water?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wash almost everything in cold water...except things with the bacteria on them. Like underwear, hankies and washcloths. Those get hot water, bleach and a vinegar rinse. I make my powdered laundry det also, but, no, it doesn't dissolve in cold water. Therefore, on laundry day, I mix the amount in about 3 cups hot water, whisk it, and let it dissolve for about 5-10 minutes, as I am collecting things. My DH has severe allergies also, as does his parents....so, FO and scents are out. Vinegar is a good acid..and works well on alot of household cleaning jobs. I keep 2 gallons distilled always on hand...as well as the cider vinegar for recipes.
Because I use the rainbarrels for most of the wash, it is all cold water. It does not have to be potable to use for laundry. We are not ingesting our clothing anyways. Rainwater wash is not any different than if you hung out the laundry...and a rainstorm came up. They are perfectly clean...unless you know you live in a contaminated area. Then, you wouldn't be using the rain run off anyways.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So ... do you think I can just use vinegar?
Someone on here and I can't remember who exactly, said they don't use anything but the water when washing clothing and has been satisfied with those results. I've never tried it long term so I don't know how it would be. I'd say that the vinegar would be better than nothing and I have great respect for the qualities of ACV as a cleanser.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks. My problem is solved. We keeps lots of vinegar on hand for all kinds of cleaning, even spraying goat teats before milking. And by this time next year, I'll have preserved lots of flower petals, of all kinds, so making rose water or hey, even rose-vinegar! would be a snap.

I'm already saving vinegar bottles after they are empty so i'll have plenty set aside.

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My hubby and I made our first liquid laundry soap this weekend. I gave some to my sister in law to try. They are really strapped, so I hope that it is a blessing and that it works out for them. I have a little bit of store bought stuff that I have to use up first, but the home made stuff smells so good. I can't wait to try it! :D

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can't wait to try mine! Last week I bought the ingredients...but only grated the bar soap as of now :/ My kids won't let me do anything lol I plan to finish it today hopefully. I mean, all I need to do is scoop the powder ingredients in with the bar soap lol. I do have a question though....does it all mix together well? Grated & powdered? I don't have a food processor to make the grated soap smaller. Wonder if I could put it in the blender lol?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Smokin Silkies said:
I can't wait to try mine! Last week I bought the ingredients...but only grated the bar soap as of now :/ My kids won't let me do anything lol I plan to finish it today hopefully. I mean, all I need to do is scoop the powder ingredients in with the bar soap lol. I do have a question though....does it all mix together well? Grated & powdered? I don't have a food processor to make the grated soap smaller. Wonder if I could put it in the blender lol?
I cheat...do mine the lazy womans way. I grate the soap bars....not fine. Mix the dry ingredients, write the measure on the storage container I put it in, and put it up on the shelf. I won't do the extra work just to make a finer ground end product, when I put the measured amount in a small bit of hot water to dissolve it anyway. It works wonderful!!

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ok great! Now what if I were to open up a small stand when it gets nicer? Do you think people would prefer if it "looked" blended or if it were powdered/grated lol? To me it makes no difference...as long as it was "mixed up" then its good

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Smokin Silkies said:
ok great! Now what if I were to open up a small stand when it gets nicer? Do you think people would prefer if it "looked" blended or if it were powdered/grated lol? To me it makes no difference...as long as it was "mixed up" then its good
Weeell...I was thinking of maybe selling some myself. When I get my store open in the spring. But, hand made/home made is not going to be perfect anyways. Part of the charm!! :hugs :bun

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok, thats what I was thinking :eek:) I'm not sure how well it'll go around my area. People are afraid of change :rolleyes: The people I told already think I'm nuts and say "why would you make it yourself"? I'm going to give it a shot anyways, maybe advertise on craigslist? I'm sure there are SOME people around me lol Thanks for your help!

moxies_chickennuggets said:
Smokin Silkies said:
Weeell...I was thinking of maybe selling some myself. When I get my store open in the spring. But, hand made/home made is not going to be perfect anyways. Part of the charm!! :hugs :bun