liquid laundry soap

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd say go for it Silkies. If it doesn't sell, it won't spoil. Just use it in your own laundry. I love mine. It gets the clothes nice and clean...cleaner then the expensive store stuff. And waay cheaper.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I sell it. It sells pretty good if you have reasonable prices. Labor and containers is the majority of it :hu Everybody that tries it likes it though. My neoghbor just buys the supplies for both of us, and i make it for her for free. She brings her own jugs. Same way I do eggs around here, they provide the feed, I provide the layers and eggs. I get my stuff for nothing other than a bit of work really, and everybody is happy :D

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I sell it. It sells pretty good if you have reasonable prices. Labor and containers is the majority of it :hu Everybody that tries it likes it though. My neoghbor just buys the supplies for both of us, and i make it for her for free. She brings her own jugs. Same way I do eggs around here, they provide the feed, I provide the layers and eggs. I get my stuff for nothing other than a bit of work really, and everybody is happy :D
That's what we want to do eventually. It all takes time to get there though.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yes it does, but it's a sweet deal when you find folks willing to barter like that ;) I am gardening for everyone this year too. It got me a tiller :D And some seed and fertilizer(poop) for the garden. Plus, they'll help with weeding and harvest, etc. too :woot

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Cindi, you keep giving me more and more reasons to pack it up and move to Tennessee!! Specifically, your neighborhood! I like being far away from my neighbors, but I'd also like to have a feeling of community; something we don't really have here.

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I like the idea that you all have nieghbors etc that will barter. I have two people that buy eggs from me at work. Other than that, when people hear what I am making, they say, "if you have any extra cheese I'll take it" or "if you have extra eggs, I'll take um" or "wow, I could use some of that!" Meanining....FREE! hahaha I've got to find some more hard working people that don't mind paying for what they get!

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FINALLY did my first load of laundry with the new homemade soap! It's washing now so I'm anxiously waiting :caf It took forever for my grated soap to dissolve though. I use cold water so I put some boiling water in a cup and added my grated/powdered soap. I stirred & stirred and waited & waited...Maybe I didn't grate it small enough? I'll post a pic in a few of just the grated bar soap. What do you guys think about it & do you grate yours smaller? I had to use a hand grater because I don't have a food processor.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's why it's just simpler to use it in a liquid form....no worries about it dissolving in cold water. No worries about the dry mix drawing moisture and clumping.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, smaller grating is better. Even with cooking it to make the liquid, it takes forever for Fels to dissolve with the larger grating.

I've tried my first batch of scented laundry detergent, with my own bar soap. It's freakin fantastic!!! The clothes even smell like the fragrance when you pull them from the dryer. I'm super satisfied! I wasn't sure if scent would "stick" or not. Granted, I'm not sure if it would stick as well if it were just added to the liquid glop after making it with Fels, since I made scented soap, then made the detergent from that.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been using homemade detergent for a while now and am noticing a problem with my whites. They're dingy! They're turning shades of gray and brown-ish. I'm not liking this at all! :hit

We have soft water where I live and I'm thinking this is from build-up of the detergent since this never happened when I was using the commercial stuff.

Would a shot of vinegar in every load make this go away and make my whites nice and white again? Will I have to resolve myself to an occasional bleaching of whites to keep them satisfactorily white? :hu Baking soda (which is in this batch of detergent anyway), would that do it?

I miss my whites and it feels gross to see them all dingy like they are. :sick It's not terrible but enough to make me post about it.