Little chickens growing up

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd love to have a hen go broody, or two. Just love to watch a hen with her biddies! Of course, I would then need to get some fertile eggs as the only roo left here is in his own pen, adjacent to hens. I don't like the roos to be so aggressive with the girls and this one sure was. May pick up a different breed and put a trio together for eggs...or bator.

Will have to see how my time goes with the other things I need to be taking care of this Spring. May just buy chicks again. :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Now that I have my chickens separated into separate flocks, I'm hoping I don't end up w/any bald chickens this year-other than for molting.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi !! you got chicks! I love chicks, I have always had to raise them in the house, hope by spring I have something OUTSIDE set up for them! I am glad to see you get your homestead going, it's so hard to move and start over. Keep us updated!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They're my little "therapy chickens" :) I wasn't going to expand the flock just yet, but I had a (thankfully manageable) cancer diagnosis late last year. I'm actually going for more surgery next week Tuesday. I decided to get some chicks to cheer me up while I deal with all this.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi I will be praying for you. You will come through this and get on with your life. I don't blame you for getting a couple of chicks to cheer yourself up. Heck, if I was facing cancer surgery, I might get a couple dozen!

Poka_Doodle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How are they? I'm going to be hatching some this spring.
Hope you feel better soon.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The chicks are doing great! The Daisybelle turned out to be a he and the Brahma a pullet. My second surgery went o.k. and the results were a "positive negative" according to my 9yo son :) They got all the cancer out.