Little Creatures

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
IMG_20210329_134532_442.jpg

Can you spot the bobtail? Just about stepped on this little dude on the front door step. Had crawled behind the pots by the time I got the camera Out. Tons of these around here, I love them!

(Hopefully this photo isnt too huge! It wont let me resize on the phone, sorry!)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Us folks from "up north" are totally clueless about what a bobtail is, so I downloaded an article. Interesting article, and interesting creature. I can see why you are fond of them. When I was in Guatemala, we had a lizard that would come in through our AC unit where it wasn't installed tightly into the wall. My room mate wanted to evict it b/c she was scared of it, and it chirped. But, I wouldn't let her. I told her I'd rather have a chirping lizard in the room b/c it would eat any insects that came in. https://www.healthywildlife.com.au/bobtail-lizards/#/

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The bobtails look like a very interesting and cute creature!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are two painted turtles in our large pond! An adult sized one, and a baby one. The larger one I noticed two days ago, and at first went under the water when he saw me see him. Now he doesn't hide from me. The baby one I noticed yesterday and hides from me.

I was down the hill planting tomato and pepper plants in the overflow garden, when a small toad came out to the area where I was planting. I put a toad house there for him.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I was growing up, my brother would catch painted turtles in the lake when we went swimming. He brought one or two home, and my dad made a "turtle pen" out back around an old apple tree. They had a 6" trough for swimming. IIRC, the pen was about 8' x 8'. I also had a couple of the little green turtles that could be bought at the pet shop in there. I believe those little green turtles were about 49 cents! I love having reptiles in my garden, but sadly... they seem to prefer the lawn, where they are prone to chicken/duck/dog/lawnmower attack.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No way! I'll eat vegetables or weeds from my garden.

A few years ago, on the local news there was a story about someone in Michigan who posted on their facebook page video of them sawing with a toothed saw the head off of a Snapping Turtle. Their excuse was that they eat Snapping Turtles, but the way they were killing it was the problem. There was a BIG outrage over it from the public. The people who posted the video even received death threats. Most Michiganders love turtles-alive.

Latest posts