Living in the past - Iron Age

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It's facinating. (not a joke)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am about half way through. It is interesting. I think the bland food, though, is not necessarily how things were. I guess it would depend on region, that year's weather, etc... But comparing the way they lived to some of the "primitive" cultures encountered in the 1930's by Weston Price, I'm not buying a bland diet and a daily basis.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WZ, I think this is the second time I've heard you mention the Edwardian Farm series? Is this the manor house one, that was like "Upstairs, Downstairs"- where they couldn't keep a scullery maid until they found themselves a farm girl, and the "Lord" had a hyphenated last name* and was an insufferable nitwit? Or is it something different?

*no hate on hyphens, my kiddos have them, it's just that is one of the things I remember about him

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Leta said:
WZ, I think this is the second time I've heard you mention the Edwardian Farm series? Is this the manor house one, that was like "Upstairs, Downstairs"- where they couldn't keep a scullery maid until they found themselves a farm girl, and the "Lord" had a hyphenated last name* and was an insufferable nitwit? Or is it something different?

*no hate on hyphens, my kiddos have them, it's just that is one of the things I remember about him
Episode 1 of Edwardian Farm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H10TJT87BaU
Episode 1 of Victorian Farm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ts0Rwnn2yg&playnext=1&list=PL44655238DAB65184

Both are quite long, so expect to take a couple weeks working through them.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't hear "bland" about the food, only "boring"--I thought they meant monotonous, because they ate the same every day. Interesting comments 30 years on, seems like the project really made an impact on everyone who participated. Would have been great to have caught up with the Ainsworths, particularly the children. :)

Another excellent series, even better than Victorian and Edwardian, is Tales from the Green Valley. It's the first project that Ruth, Fonz and Alex did together, along with 2 other experts named Stuart and Chloe. It's the first one of the series we watched, and I actually missed the larger team when I saw the later 2 series.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
moolie said:
I didn't hear "bland" about the food, only "boring"--I thought they meant monotonous, because they ate the same every day. Interesting comments 30 years on, seems like the project really made an impact on everyone who participated. Would have been great to have caught up with the Ainsworths, particularly the children. :)

Another excellent series, even better than Victorian and Edwardian, is Tales from the Green Valley. It's the first project that Ruth, Fonz and Alex did together, along with 2 other experts named Stuart and Chloe. It's the first one of the series we watched, and I actually missed the larger team when I saw the later 2 series.
Sweet! Thanks for linking to that.
I had never been able to find that online!

Latest posts