Living without a dryer

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* OFG clomps out in barn boots, a bad pony tail, over sized dirty tshirt, unflattering work shorts with granny panties hanging out, yells to husband, "Hey are we fixing this dang dryer or WHAT?" no response.*

i dunno gals, its not working at all.... hum.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just wear the panties only Ohio :rolleyes:
see if ya get a response :bun

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when I have the 'fix it' thing that 'never gets done' I use a one line that kicks hubby into first gear---and I only use this in emergencies or when I seriously wait too long---

I am going to call my Dad to come fix it cause you are just too busy.

hmmm...that moves his tail fast. too proud to let my Daddy do it.
:p

but I am very selective in using that line, can't ruin it for myself...lol

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
when I have the 'fix it' thing that 'never gets done' I use a one line that kicks hubby into first gear---and I only use this in emergencies or when I seriously wait too long---

I am going to call my Dad to come fix it cause you are just too busy.

hmmm...that moves his tail fast. too proud to let my Daddy do it.
:p

but I am very selective in using that line, can't ruin it for myself...lol
Hilarious! I went a step further when our dishwasher was making all kinds of racket. It kept getting worse, DH even mentioned that 'boy, that thing is loud' and went to the basement. After three months of noise, I finally called a repairman. Didn't take long for him to replace a little flapper valve and hand me a bill for $75.

When DH got home, I told him about it. He looked at the bill and quietly said that it was just a $5 part and that he could have fixed it. My response was 'Sure, you could have fixed it. But he DID fix it'.

Oh, and honestly, I could walk outside naked and DH wouldn't notice, so that wouldn't work here. :lol: But it would scare the crap out of my hens, I'm tellin' ya!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Marianne, you are so hilarious! ha!

so i know that we kinda went off into the ditch her with the OP asking about HOW to live without a dryer and all... so we should probably get back on topic

but

so last nite my Good Neighbor calls and says "hey! what kind of hill billies are you that you are flingin' your laundry all over the place! i can see it from here!"

but then she cracked up and said my hubby had put her up to it. (she's pro-clothesline btw). and THEN she said that he's getting a good ol' laugh about how much this is making me cross! so at this point no amount of nakedness is gonna get him to move a little faster. i have not become a point of hilarity to him.

of course this means war so no i'm going to treat him with casual disregard. that oughta get him. and good!

but here is one thing that i didnt like about hanging stuff out yesterday. in addition to OD the gander thinking that a bedsheet was a superman cape for him.... they didnt dry evenly.

am i supposed to go out there and shuffle them around so the corners get dry?

b/c i brought them in the house and draped them all over and then the cats thought the sheets were superman capes too and i had to get Nicholas down from the top of the fridge before he boldly launched "to infinity and beyond!"

i dunno i'm not sold on this at all. maybe i'm doing it wrong?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Marianne
handing him a $75 bill for a $5 part sure got his attention..lol
repairmen, gotta love them when you need them--more reliable than a hubby :p

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
calendula said:
I tried drying clothes indoors during the winter, but they ended up not smelling so great and were very stiff. Hanging them outside first and "freeze drying" them, and then bringing them in sounds like a good idea. Actually, I think that is what the Mennonites in our area do.
Been there. I'm lucky now in that my Fisher Paykel washer spins clothes so dry that there wouldn't be a problem with that 'spoiled' smell. But jeans and other heavy stuff sure smelled bad when I hung them to dry in our basement after coming out of the ancient washer we had back then.
I also hate really stiff clothes! A few minutes in the dryer (on low) with a couple of old towels takes out a lot of moisture so they aren't bad after they finish drying on the lines...except for towels. I still prefer to dry them in the dryer.

Can your dryer be repaired? We've had good luck getting replacement parts for various things online. The new HE sets are so pretty, but good looks doesn't make things work any better.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Can your dryer be repaired?
who me? nah its DOA. all my complaining is only gonna last until next week when he gets paid. there are a LOT of sets (and just the dryer) on CL right now - i think everyone ran right out and got those fancy spinny-go-round-HE things.

(btw, i think i owe you a PM - sorry for the delay!)

FC - the "if you dont fix it then i'm gonna get _____ to do it" only works if i say "my brother"....and well. he aint gonna fly out here from out of state for this! but i wish he would!
;-)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OFG, I think there's something seriously wrong with you! :lol: :lol:
I would have just left the clothes out a bit longer for them to dry more. Leaving sheets, etc laying around in our house is an invitation to disaster! And we don't even have kids at home.

Okay, back on topic. If the freeze dry isn't what you want to do, or maybe sometimes you have freezing rain but laundry has to be done...what about putting a fan by the indoor lines or rack and using that to help dry? I did that for a while before we had the wood burning stove. They didn't smell real fresh, though. Hey, we have 5 cats and 2 dogs that let us share the house, but you might have better smelling results.