Llama fiber question

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I lost a dear little cria today. He'd never been shorn but had nice thick wool with a longish outer coat.

He also wasn't the best-groomed little guy around. He let me handle him but I haven't blown or brushed him yet. Given all that, the wool was in good shape with some burrs and debris he picked up but no mats or anything.

I used scissors to remove a bagful of wool as a memento. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet.

I wondered ... Any suggestions for cleaning or what I should do to prepare it? I need to know if I need to do anything right away if I decide I can't really proceed with it now too. Or can I just do what needs doing later and store it in a plastic bag in the meantime?

Thanks. If anyone has any ideas of what to do with it I'd be interested too. I don't think I want to make gloves or a hat or anything. Maybe a woven piece to put on the wall. Or something else decorative that won't get hard wear.

Thanks.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
If I am storing a fleece, I wrap it in paper and cedar blocks and put it in a plastic tub. I don't really know if this is correct or not, but it makes sense to me, and I have a couple of years old sheep fleeces that I am working on (slowly :lol:)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss :(

I store my fleece in plastic bags if I am 100% certain they are completely dry and cardboard boxes if I am not so sure. I have two fleeces that need washed and they are in plastic bags and have been for several months. Your post reminded me of them , so I went and checked them and they are fine :) I don't think you need to do anything with it right off.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks y'all.

I still can't believe he's gone. I dreamed last night of how he used to follow me when I wasn't in the pasture and I'd give him little treats.

I think I'll put the wool up in paper or cardboard just in case. I'm pretty sure it's dry but I don't want anything to happen to it.

Thanks again.

Latest posts