Locally Grown produce

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I stopped at the grocery today, and walking through the produce section I found Locally Grown Produce! I was so excited! and the prices were great!

I got 4 lbs of apples locally grown for 98 cents a pound!
I got a 5 pound head of cabbage, very nice looking! locally grown, for 59 cents a pound!

I also found locally grown potatoes, buy 5 pounds, get 5 pounds free!

I was really happy with my finds today!

Won't talk about the rest of the grocery bill :lol:

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love that! I'm stuck with a really crappy grocery store here in town, and have to drive quite a way for a decent one... but this really awful store just started carrying a few local things, so they're a bit less awful! I mean, this time of year, it's just apples and squash... but it's a start.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have Hydroponic (local) tomatoes in our grocery stores here. In the summer there is a van that sells produce and vegies on the corner, I will be taking advantage of them next year as I got no oeaches this year.:)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
buy locally grown and it supports the community.
good deal !!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My mom just informed me earlier today that my Aunt had a bumper crop of apples, and they are doing nothing with them. We are going to go pick what we can!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are lucky here to have locally grown produce at our grocers as well. The prices are pretty good too. Between that and the farmers markets I guess I can usually find what I need in the spring, summer, and fall. It is the winter that I have to put up with whatever else is available. :(

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here, our grocery stores are starting to sell more local produce, and making a big deal out of it, which I think it really cool. And it's not just our little IGA - the Kroger out here's doing it, too. So far, Wal-Mart hasn't gotten on the bandwagon, yet. :mad: There was an article in the Cincinnati paper that Bigg's stores are now incorporating entire 'local' sections into their stores where they are going to sell not just food, but local handmade products (perfume, lotions, etc.). :woot

headred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
One of our grocery stores sells local produce. Also shop the farmers market pretty heavily. Hope you all are lucky enough to have a market!