Look what we got for free! and we re-modeled it lol

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So my husband did some work for a neighbor and when he was done the neighbor asked him if he would like this wood box he had. My DH said sure. He came home and told me about this box and how it would make a great banty hutch if I wanted it. (forgive me, I am all about chickens LOL)

Soooo he brought the box home and this is what it looked like.

328_100_1896.jpg

So we got to working on it, built some new sides with OSB, hubby added a few planks to the one side (we ran out of OSB, but we'll get more later). I even pounded some nails on it. I was so excited to be working on this!

328_100_1898.jpg

328_100_1899.jpg

I painted the sides while hubby put rolled roofing on the top and worked on making a door. When he got the door done, I painted it, too LOL We busted our butts because it was supposed to rain today. We were so proud that we got it done before the rain came in! Then, it didn't rain ROTFL!
328_100_1900.jpg

328_100_1902.jpg

Now it is on our back porch because we have decided for this winter we are going to use it as a woodbox by the back door, to keep from having to stack wood in the house. This way, we just open up the back door, grab the wood, and stuff the woodburner full!! It should hold about 2-3 days of firewood! :D

328_100_1903.jpg

This is something else hubby made me, an indoor brooder in my coop! It is to house my 6 week old chicks that I currently have! It isn't finished. Tomorrow we are going to build the door for it. I will post pics of it again when it's finished!
328_100_1895.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is one sturdy and BIG wood box!! What a great find....and great to have a handy man for a hubby! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now that is a box I would not have refused either!

Cool----from coop to firewood box!

Neat pics! and good work!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
:gig Sorry, Wildsky, I don't share :gig

Yes, he is a wonderful handyman!! I love him so much!! and he spoils me so much! :love

beekissed, I know my post about him "letting me get ducks" kind of sent the wrong message, but trust me, I have a real MAN! And he puts me before everything and everyone else! :love

Next spring we are going to to build a bigger woodbox, and this will be a nice coop for Robert and Fran, my pair of Quail Antwerps. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
sweetcorn said:
Great find ! and do you rent the hubby out ? I have to beg mine to get stuff done.
:lol: Uh, let me run it by him, see what he says...I think he charges by the hour :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
:gig Sorry, Wildsky, I don't share :gig
:( I'll feed him and everything :bouquet
:gig

Boy, you sure drive a hard bargain!

Ok, but only if I can come, too! Many hands make light work.

We are actually thinking of making some cute chicken houses, patterned from this box. We talked about it today. We would make it lighter than this box, of course, and put a cute peaked roof on it. :) Then try to sell them, if that would go over.

I thought it would make a cute duck house, too! So we might make another one for the ducks! :cool: