Looking at houses ~ NOW LAND!!! COUNTER OFFER ACCEPTED!!!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I had a long conversation with my real estate agent last night and she cleared up some things for me. The house was not a short sale 2 years ago. This is the first time it's a short sale. The owner must have bought the house 6 years ago with plans to resell for a profit which never worked out. They are now unable to make payments and have to sell as a short sale or it will go into foreclosure. I now understand the process of making an offer on a short sale. I'm just nervous about making that offer and the bank not accepting it or making a counter offer that is too high for us.

My dh will be going to look at it again with two friends of ours who are builders for advice. We think the best thing would be to put up a metal building for my dh's wood shop and then I could use the barn as is for animals. Makes sense, right?

There is excellent sun exposure on the property. The area that was used as a coral is perfect for growing organic veggies. It's now covered with clover and looks to be fertile. The front of the house would be a small orchard.

I talked to someone who works for the town and I am aloud to have a farm stand no bigger than 30 square feet (3ft x 10Ft), but I could make it go up vertically with shelves. I can sell organic vegetables, fruits, eggs and a small amount of baked goods (as long as the health dept has inspected the kitchen). There is the perfect location by the road for the farm stand with a large gate that could be closed and locked in the evenings.

To deal with the traffic noise we would either put up a concrete or stonewall along the road or a berm. I could add a water feature too.

Next to the barn there are some beautiful, huge maple and walnut trees where the animals could spend the day and in the winter I could collect the sap for making syrup!

I'd like to hold a homesteading fair. I'd have people doing demonstrations on fiber spinning, sheep shearing, canning, soap making, poultry raising etc. I could charge a fee to enter the fair. I would also like to have workshops focusing on each of those topics. Maybe one every other week or so.

Behind the house are riding trails that lead to "Maple Swamp County Park and Pond." It's about a mile to the pond. I thought of naming the homestead "Maple Swamp Farm." :D

I know I'm jumping the gun and getting too excited, but I can't help it! It's exciting! I just hope it works out for us! :fl

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, your ideas all sound wonderful! Just one suggestion, based on experience. A metal building on a property with excellent sun exposure can get very, very hot, even on mild days. Give lots of thought to ventilation and cooling. We had a metal shop building that was intolerable in the summer.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cjparker said:
Wow, your ideas all sound wonderful! Just one suggestion, based on experience. A metal building on a property with excellent sun exposure can get very, very hot, even on mild days. Give lots of thought to ventilation and cooling. We had a metal shop building that was intolerable in the summer.
Thank you for that advice and actually the spot I have picked out is under big shady trees, but yes ventilation/AC will be needed. Plus heating. My dh is thinking of a pellet stove.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On a completely random side note; when you are building something near any well established tree be careful not to constantly drive trucks or heavy machinery to close. You have to stay out of the "drip line" of a tree or you take the chance of compacting the soil and damaging the roots, ultimately killing the tree. Sorry, been doin alot of reading about tree care lately!:p

edit to say: And btw good luck!!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mamaluv321 said:
On a completely random side note; when you are building something near any well established tree be careful not to constantly drive trucks or heavy machinery to close. You have to stay out of the "drip line" of a tree or you take the chance of compacting the soil and damaging the roots, ultimately killing the tree. Sorry, been doin alot of reading about tree care lately!:p

edit to say: And btw good luck!!
Thanks for the tip!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have an appointment to see the house on Tuesday.
The owners have become very difficult and will only show the house after 5:00 on a weekday and allow us to stay for 1 hour and we are not allowed to ask them questions. The reason they are acting this way is because of the short sale they are currently not making any mortgage payments and are basically living there for free. They are in now hurry to sell. :barnie
We will have two builder friends with us to look the house over in the time we are given. I'll be taking notes.
We're still looking into the cost of a metal building for my dh's woodshop. The cheapest option I'm seeing so far is a 20 x 30 metal building that comes as a kit for $7,000. This does not include a concrete slab, electricity, insulation, and heat.
I figure we could get a used wood burning stove off of Craigslist.
My dh doesn't think he can do the concrete slab. I don't know how much that would cost.
We'd need an electrician to bring in electricity, but my dh can set up all the outlets and lighting himself.
He could insulate himself too. I don't think insulation is expensive.
:/

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Look into other options too... our best friends just put up an autobody garage on their property. Including the foundation and having hired people to do almost everything, they spent $12,000 on a 36x24 timber framed, insulated garage with a concrete foundation. They heat it with a woodstove, and they did do the insulation themselves.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get that house, since I can live my dream of living in a big victorian place vicariously through your updates (I'm assuming we'd get updates... lol )

Good luck on Tuesday!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
Look into other options too... our best friends just put up an autobody garage on their property. Including the foundation and having hired people to do almost everything, they spent $12,000 on a 36x24 timber framed, insulated garage with a concrete foundation. They heat it with a woodstove, and they did do the insulation themselves.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get that house, since I can live my dream of living in a big victorian place vicariously through your updates (I'm assuming we'd get updates... lol )

Good luck on Tuesday!
Hmmmm, but you're in Canada. I wonder what $12,000 would translate to Hampton's money. Everything is really expensive here.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So the Victorian house just didn't work out. In the end we knew it needs more work than we can handle. :(

Anyway, I'm now looking into buying a plot of land and buying a modular home. I've found 3 beautiful acres for a fantastic price. Now I need to find a modular for a fantastic price too. Does anyone know of a "green" modular that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? We need 3 bedrooms and a garage. Thanks! :D

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We got an offer on our house and have made a counter offer. I NEED LOTS OF POSITIVE VIBES!!! :fl :fl :fl
We'll be meeting with our agent this weekend at the 3 acre parcel and maybe making an offer on it. Still shopping around at building options. Modular versus stick building.........

PLEASE SAY YOUR PRAYERS FOR US!!! Thanks you. :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl