Looking for Vinegar Mother

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has an extra vinegar mother they would be willing to trade....or perhaps gift if I pay for shipping? I have a store on ETSY of items that I would be willing to consider for trade. My store name is the same as my screen name here. Thanks!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have any, but I'm told my sister obtained some at one of our local stores, for quite a price. I saw that Puritan's Pride has it though. Thinking I might order some with my next order. I'm into wine making and herbs right now, so I might go ahead and eventually start my own vinegar as well. Good luck.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you buy organic apple cider vinegar with a mother visible in it, can you use that mother to "innoculate" a jug of vinegar that has none? What happens if you put the dregs of the acv bottle into regular vinegar?

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
If you buy organic apple cider vinegar with a mother visible in it, can you use that mother to "innoculate" a jug of vinegar that has none? What happens if you put the dregs of the acv bottle into regular vinegar?
It is my understanding, that if organic vinegar is not pasturized/distilled, it could be used as a culture....not that my understanding should be relied upon, but that is the extent of my reading thus far. Otherwise, organic can still be pasteurized and not be of use as a starter, because the heating process has killed the bacteria. Kinda like canning...although other texts that I have read sound more like distilling of spirits, that would conversely render it unuseable as a starter also. I do not know of a source for unpasteurized vinegar locally, otherwise I would have pursued that option.

Thank You to you both for stopping into my thhread nd comenting!! It's always good to hear feedback.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Franklin, "Bragg" Organic ACV says raw and unfiltered on the label. It says "with the Mother" You can find it at a health food store. About 5 bucks for a quart.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
And yes, you can inoculate a bottle of regular store bought ACV with the mother/spores from a bottle of Bragg's or other mother vinegar. Then you can just keep that going exponentially. I have three jugs with mother vinegar sitting in the pantry right now that came from the spores of a jug of Bragg's.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mother is just a nontoxic slime composed of acetic acid bacteria. Most vinegar today is produced by the fast method where air or oxygen is injected or whipped into a weak alcohol solution. [If the alcohol is too strong it kills the bacteria] Wine cider and beer are in the right range. The bacteria convert the alcohol to acetic acid. Cider tends to produce a good amount of mother since it has crushed apple, exausted yeast and the acetic acid bacteria to clump together.

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I don't have a health food stoor in my town, and the nearest towns that might have one are nearly 40 miles away. That's a pretty long drive on my scooter. I was/AM looking for someone that would be willing to trade or share one. The point for me is trading being less expensive than spending cash potentially.

Thanks to all -- Rachel

debe53

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am presently making vinegar from my wine grapes...the instructions I go t said that there is enough yeasts on the stems, and the skins of the grapes to ferment the juice...and it did. then as when wine is exposed to air...one simply allows the fermented juices to be in a jar that is larger than the contents...I have not gotten to the point of tasting it yet...but I am hopeful!!! I am fairly certain if it works ...should do the same for my apples...stay tuned for results!!!:)

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Like BeeKissed, I innoculate "regular store brand apple cider vinegar". I originally bought a pint of the Bragg's and dumped it in with a gallon of the regular stuff. When that starts getting low, I toss a cup of it into the next gallon and off we go. Shipping liquids is problematic, or I'd be more than happy to send you some.