Looking Forward to Sharing and Learning

Bush Woman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi everyone!! :frow I live in Alberta, Canada! Born and raised in the rugged B.C. bush! 50 miles from the closest settlement, which is quite a distance out there cause we only traveled by horseback or with a team and wagon/sled! Growing up and a large portion of my adult life, I have lived completly off grid! "If we couldn't grow or make it, we didn't have it!" We grew, made, picked, raised, and hunted all out food, made our cloths, soap and even dishes. (There were a couple other families in the area that did the same that we traded with).
Now, I am only partially self-sufficient, as we do have power, vehicle and buy the odd storebought item! Lol, like cloths! People around here look at ya pretty odd when you come to town in buckskin! ;)

I can't wait to answer questions, ask advice and learn/give advice with all of you fine folks!! :clap

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great to have you here! How'd you find out about our little community?

That would be quite the adventure to really be completely off the grid! I wonder how my wife would do in that situation. I'm sure it would be quite the learning experience! I wonder which aspects would be the biggest pain points first and how long it would take to adapt?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:frow

Glad to meet you! Going off grid sounds like a blast----but I may be to chicken for it. (No homestead pun intended)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha! Looks like WE might learn more from YOU!! You could be quite the topic master around here. Such as
How to tan deerskin
How to cook on a wood burning stove
How to make dishes (pottery I presume?)
How to sew tanned deerskins
And probably a whole bunch more that was/is daily life to you, but only a wish or dream to many of us.

Welcome!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Welcome to SS origin of all Google cheese cultures ;) Sounds like we could learn from you. i look forward to it :)