Looking to get everyone thoughts on the mosin nagant rifle

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
flSeveral prepareness sites said this is good all around for hunting, home protection and prepareness. My main concern would be get ammo in the future for it. I know that it a pretty reliable gun. It definitly stood the test of time. I know you can get get them for under $100 - 200 I would like everyones 2 cents.

I'm adding some edition comments after reading some of the other posts

I'm looking to see if anyone would use it for hunting, or if it mostly a gun people collect and some of the survial and prep site mention because it a gun that is cheap and readily available.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Not sure why you bumped this, there were no replies mostly because it is a very unknown Rifle. and he didn't even have rifle in the subject. It is nice to be helpful but if no one has a opinion no amount of posting or bumping is going to help.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think Marianne "bumped" this thread. I think she was simply indicating her interest in this topic. She is in her seat eating her popcorn and waiting for the show to start.

GunStockMarket

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The Mosin Nagant is a very well known rifle. Many sites cater to the Mosin Nagant and it's history. The Mosin Nagant currently is enjoying a lot of collector focus, and sites like 7.62x54r.net go into great detail on every variation.

The most commonly encountered model is the M91/30, which can be had for around $100.00 (You can check prices at gunstockmarket.net/search.php?firearm=1&searchwords=M91%2F30&qstitle=Mosin Nagant: M91/30), avoid the sniper models unless you want a real sniper (which can be very expensive) as the recent imports are mostly reproductions.

Given the current popularity, ammo availability is not an issue. It is possible to purchase surplus ammo, still packed in the original tins (called "spam cans") of 440 rounds for $69.95 + shipping. Many posts will warn of the "dangers" of surplus ammo regarding corrosion due to the primer and powder. As long as you clean your rifle after shooting, it should not be a problem. Remember that the military ammo is what these rifles were created to shoot. Clean it well and the Mosin Nagant will provide many years of service.

While the Mosin Nagant may not be as refined, in the opinion of some, as other designs, it is a robust platform that can do it's intended job very well. The 7.62x54R round (R stands for rimmed, not Russian) is a solid performer.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, As previously stated , the Mosin Nagant rifle is a weapon of combat. If you purchase one, purchase plenty of ammo as well get 2-3 "spam cans" to put away and plenty to practice with and the weapon will surve well as a cheap survival weapon that can be depended upon, just make sure you have enough ammo put back. Its not as common as most rounds. ;) I wish now that I had bought more SKS's when they were $100 ea! I still havesome put away, but wish I had more.......

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a friend who bought one for 99 bucks at the local sporting goods store. I thought about buying one when they came around again. The dang thing was so long and heavy I could barley lift it.

We did pick up ammo for him once. It was over a buck a round at our local gun show. Not sure where those other prices are coming from.

Friends I know who hunt recommend a basic 308. Ammo is much cheaper and more available.

g

GunStockMarket

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
We did pick up ammo for him once. It was over a buck a round at our local gun show. Not sure where those other prices are coming from.
Where do the other prices come from? It doesn't take much Google-Fu to find AIM Surplus. Right now (11/5/2012):

Bulgarian 7.62x54R 147grn FMJ 440rd Can
...from $69.95

Sure, that's buying 2 spam cans of 440 rounds each. $79.95 for one 440 round can.

18 cents a round, even with shipping it's less than 25 cents a round. Not even close to a "buck a round" you say, your friend got ripped off at $1 a round.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have one and love it. Have not yet used it for hunting but that is what he is going to use it for. He was impressed with its power when he brought it home and tested it. Bullets are not a huge issue or horribly expensive for it either. You can get original bullets pretty cheap but he has also found new non corrosive types for the same price. The hollow point was marginally more expensive where we are ( roughly $10 for 20 bullets).

My brother and dad are a bit more experienced with guns and they were very impressed with it and were vying to take it out on a test run. Honestly we got ours on sale at a local gun store for $79. Could not resist. We have had it 2 years and not one complaint from the hubby. We also have a friend who is a gun dealer in another state. He has several of them in his gun collection. He really loves them and is the one that suggested we get one for hunting because they are known for accuracy too.

On the female side of it. I love the gun just the way it is. We did not "upgrade" it to plastic and tactical looking. Its a beautiful gun that I will gladly let the hubby hang on the wall ( not that it is, its locked in the gun safe ). You really feel like you have a very solid dependable firearm when you are holding it. Even I can fire it. Because of the heft the kickback is not horrid either but its still wicked powerful. I am short and not the strongest and I can and have carried this all over the farm when we had a predator issue. My 10 year old daughter has shot it also. Again the heft really reduced that kickback and its just a plain nice gun to have around. I would definitely consider another one if the opportunity arises again.