Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So the pic of the creepy meat birds worked. I wanted peas but oh well.

333_img_3038.jpg

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
NICE!!! They're looking good....creepy but good!

It really is nice to have a tractor for raising those birds, isn't it? I have made my money back on building ours several times over cause it makes such a good brooder/finishing space. It smells better cause they don't have a chance to be in one spot too long before you move it. It has been really nice finishing out the duck babies too. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the "landing strip" before the rest of the grass started coming up. We had a bright dark green strip of grass where we did the meaties last fall and it came up so dark and lush and green it seriously looked like a landing strip on the side of the property!!! :lol:

Chad's brother came over yesterday and he is a roundup junkie. I asked him to please try not to spray anything and if he did to please do it after like 5 or 6 o'clock when the bees were winding down for the day. He actually told me that he was thinking of getting his in-laws to come with the "big sprayer" and spray weed killer/fertilizer combo on his lawn. :he They do "fertilizer" for a living and his wife's family are dairy farmers. I just hate it when I'm trying to be as organic as possible and I have a chemical junkie that lives next door. :barnie

I am really thinking I am going to move the hives up a little further from the goat barn cause they will be a little too close to the loafing area. I am not supposed to get them until the first weekend in May so I should be okay if I can make my mind up now. The only problem is that they are in the path of the chicken tractor and I may lose some space for it but I can always mow an extra strip on BIL's field next door and run them along that line if I need the space. He'll get over it...it's free "fertilizer" after all :lol:

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great photos Lori! So lush and green and not flooded like it is here :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh, is that what you think??? :lol: I will have to go out and take a picture of the moat! Seriously....we had to dig down 24 inches to pour the concrete for the footers for the garage and after the concrete set up we got torrential rains for 2 days and the water will not drain out of it so I have a moat! Chad was joking that he was gonna get the mallards and put them in there and just let them swim in circles all day :lol: Gotta love that Virginia red clay!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: OK, I didn't realize you are as wet as we are. Clay soil here too. We literally have wild mallards floating in our pond, er backyard. My ducks don't know what to think of the invaders, but I keep hearing "party!, party!, party!" coming from back there so at least somebody is happy. There is 4 inches of water between the goat barn and the hay garage today :/ I may have to drive the car back to get a few bales before it starts raining again.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:barnie Um...... so I just stopped by to say hello and noticed I posted my pic on your journal. I have no idea how or why. I'm sorry. I can remove it if you like.

yesterday I was trying to post pics and had like 6 windows open. I must have put it here on accident. :hide

But I am glad you like my tractor. :D

Natalie's Nesters

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Could you offer to buy his "chemicals"? Then you empty the containers, fill with colored water? I hear weeds are becoming immune to so many chemicals, wink wink!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Ha! We talked about writing something fun on his back "lawn" in roundup when he went on his honeymoon! There has also been talk of jacking up his car onto blocks just a fuzz off the ground so that when he steps on the gas to leave the house the tires just spin in mid air. He hasn't exactly been nice to us all the time....he pretty much stole 15 acres of land from under us thanks to dear old dad's lack of a backbone and his obsessive whining about how we are ruining his "estately view" with our doublewide. That's okay....let him pay taxes on 35 acres in this county and we'll pay ours on 3. Ne-ner-ne-ner na na!

We have a friend down the road that is going to let us lease his farm to put some cattle on anyway so no big loss there. And because he has been so horrible to us we are refusing to run any livestock on his land so he can get the agricultural tax reduction.

What can I say.....karma's a B****! :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So we had a good long visit with Grandma C (Chad's mom) who came up from NC for probably her last visit until fall. She works in the rental housing down on Topsail Island so if anyone is in the market for a vacation home for a week or few days just let me know and I can get you a killer deal!

Anyway...she brought 115 candy and money :ep filled eggs. Chad woke up at 6 am Sunday morning and his them all in the yard. Maddie found the last one this morning. It was awesome when they woke up....they were running around in their pajamas like crazy people.

Then they hung out with Grandma for a while, I did some gardening, we missed church (don't kill me) and then went to an easter egg hunt at a local greenhouse. Then we went to a diner for an early dinner and played putt putt. Then Chad got Tyler in the batting cages and all was good until he got hit in the chin with a softball after it richocheted off the bat. Then we went home and we were going down our driveway I looked over into Chad's Aunt's yard and saw someone fly up in the air in the backyard. So we, being nosey :p, backed down the driveway and went over.

Well, the cousins had rigged up a rope up into a tree with two loops to put your legs in and sit down with the rest of the rope stretched out so that you could run back and send the person flying up into the air. We were there for 4 1/2 hours!!! It was so fun....all the cousins and their kids were there for dinner so we just crashed.

Then today, I planted more stuff in the garden...corn and beans, and mowed the yard for an hour and a half, did 5 loads of laundry, cleaned the house, took a shower, and now I have to get ready for a business meeting dinner here at the house. Joy.

I need a nap.