Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
She is on lots of medications and apparently her doctor can't decide which ones to keep her on and keeps switching them...oh and she smokes pot....and drinks....a lot. She lives on coffee because of all the antidepressants and xanax and whatever else they have her on keep making her sleepy. I feel for her kids...her hubby is just as bad and suffers from depression too but they just keep boozing it up and getting high. She says that she hasn't done it in a while but I know she is drinking and popping prescription stuff.

So yeah, she's a little off... :p

On a lighter note, the kids both LOVED gymnastics tonight and their teacher told them that they could move up a class during the next session once they got down all the rules in this session. They love it!

My MIL is getting a ****zu chihuahua mix puppy. I asked her if it was a ****-hua or a chi-zu :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So I got an email from the duck guy that was supposed to come today and his sewer has backed up into his house....I know it's true cause it was on the news. He lives in a section of town that is notorius for flooding problems and with all the rain we got from Irene and the drains being clogged it was just a matter of time before something like this happened so he is waiting all day for someone from the city to come fix it. He wants to come early another day this week and I'm fine with that....I'm just happy to be getting rid of 5 ducks this week!!!

Today we had an awesome homeschool day! Tyler did a really good job on his journal and I had him practice his sight words by playing a game on www.abcya.com
They do dolch word bingo. The computer says the word and you have to click on the words to get bingo and when you click on the word it makes a marker by creating a little bug....totally his thing...he loved it!

He did dot to dot on the computer this morning to practice his numbers 1-50 and did really well. We also read a bunch of books today and then after reading a weird and wacky science fact book we got daddy's tape measure out and measured how long different fish were out in the yard....they were particularly fascinated by how big a blue whale and a giant squid were. It's different when you actually see how big 100ft really is! Plus they got to practice reading their numbers on a tape measure. Then we watched some videos on some of the fish we read about on the Animal Planet website. They loved the archer fish and the lungfish one. We talked about habitats and adaptation and the difference between warm blooded and cold blooded animals.

We did a few workbook pages and then did some art with stencils and those blow pen thingys. Now they are watching one of their dvds all about different animals. We are going to meet up with Chad in a little while and he is going to take Tyler to the Honda dealership to get fitted for a helmet and boots and gloves and I'm taking Maddie with me to go grocery shopping. I have to get a big bag of sugar for the bees and more fels naptha.

When Chad was mowing K's yard last night one of the steering bolts came off so he is going to take it to the dealership to make sure nothing else is broken and purchase a new belt while he is there. Shouldn't be too bad.

He also has someone that wants to buy his bow for $325 and since he wants to get a new one anyway I think he is going to go ahead and sell it. He says that he won't buy one this year but I really want him to. He says he would rather use that money to get tyler's safety equipment and buy Maddie's guitar for xmas. I love him. I still want him to buy himself a new bow though, cause he only hunts deer with a bow anymore but I may let him take my .357 to hunt with and that will definitely make it more challenging....not like hunting with a rifle, ya know.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with the kids! I know how much time it can take, but the more you integrate teaching into your everyday life, the easier it will get. Here's an idea: have the kids plan the weeks menu, and work out what, if anything, will need to be purchased. I know my son loved doing this, but then, food is near and dear to his heart :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well...today we are mourning the death of chicken #3...one of our red stars that we raised from a chick last year. FIVE of my chickens decided to go AWOL last night and jump over the fence. My neighbor's dog was out at the pond and apparently caught the scent and made a beeline for my back fence where they had congregated and snagged her. I called the neighbor to warn her about the carcass and tell her that it was not the dogs fault.

So now we are down to 6 hens.

Hubby grabbed a pair of shears and we commenced to clipping wings. Everybody got clipped but the two older smart hens that know better. Etta and Hussie have seen enough chicken death over the years to stay put. They are our oldest hens and some of the first gals we ever got 4 years ago.

My kids felt so bad they drew pictures to cheer up the other hens and made me tack them INSIDE the hen house. So now my chickens have art....:p It's a nice contrast to the poo :lol:

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
My kids felt so bad they drew pictures to cheer up the other hens and made me tack them INSIDE the hen house. So now my chickens have art....:p It's a nice contrast to the poo :lol:
Ahh, love that.
So, sorry about the hen (and the loss of an egg producer). :/

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh man, that's aweful.

I believe something in the last month has discovered I free range. My last silkie went missing a few weeks ago and then the other night, one of my EE and a RIR didn't come back home to roost.

They're all getting locked in the run now until I can clip some wings and turn them out into the garden.

It's a shame.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, I know but I am seriously thinking of geting rid of the 4 newer girls and getting 6 standard brahmas in the spring. These girls were an impulse buy at TSC chick days. We will keep Etta and Hussie till they die of old age but the others are negotiable. I love the two light brahmas I have and both are good broody hens and excellent mamas but I don't know how old they are and they are the ones that started all this jumping over the fence mess. I really like the breed though and I am thinking of ordering some chicks either in the spring or with the meat chickens this month so they will be ready to lay come springtime. I think I want different colored brahmas and since I'm ordering the meat birds anyway throwing in a few extra chicks wouldn't be noticed by hubby too much right? :hide

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, lori. :(

Your kids sound sweet, that was a thoughtful thing for them to do! :)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You have my deepest sympathy for your loss. I went through the same thing only whatever it was got my entire flock this week. I know it wasn't a dog because a dog couldn't get through the hole in the coop that this thing chewed.
It isn't fun to have this happen and with the winter coming, not having eggs is a real bummer.
Trim sends
//bt//