Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Icu...I read about it on your journal and I just can't imagine...we went through something similar a few years back. We had a mixed flock and had then gotten 10 light brahma chicks from a swap and had planned on slowly switching out the entire flock for brahmas. We had raised them until they had just gotten big enough to go in the big coop with the others and one night I forgot to close the pop door to the coop inside the enclosed run...chain link. Well, we think it was a weasel because we lost 10 chickens that night...one of our old girls and 9 of the ten brahmas we had just moved in. Something either dragged one out of the coop or it managed to flop out and we think a raccoon or possum tried to come along later and pull it through the chain link. Part of it was eaten. The rest had been bitten in the jugular and left for dead. It was awful. Hubby found the carnage when he was trying to let me sleep in that morning. I felt so bad cause I just forgot to close the pop door...I closed the run but something still got in.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
God I forgot what it was like to have a toddler in the house....Cousin B dropped off his son who is just starting to walk for a few hours....there is a veritable cheerio explosion on my floor :lol: I had to frantically sweep the house and close all the doors and pick up all the kids' toys so he wouldn't put anything in his mouth and choke. And I forgot what it was like to have to pin down a child to change his diaper. :rolleyes:

The good thing is that my children are thoroughly entertained. The bad news is that I didn't know he was coming and now our "school" day is shot until he goes home. I did manage to read a few books to all of them and now my son is "reading" a book to him now so I guess that counts. He can write in his journal later tonight if need be and we can make our bedtime reading longer too to make up for some of it. I had some leftover canvas that I was going to let them paint on today too but that's okay, we can do it another day. I decided to put on PBS and put out some baby books and let the kids just "teach" baby H.

If he goes down for a nap we'll do some more structured stuff but I'm not gonna sweat it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I imagine the little guys journal is going to have some interesting story about cousin H coming to visit.

:D

Makes you want to have another huh?

g

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
NO....hubby got that taken care of in January! I am not a happy pregnant person and two bouts of post partem depression sealed the deal on that one!

My daughter is really cute rocking him in his carrier though....:)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The best thing about home school is its flexibility. Sometimes, a day that starts out looking like a wash as far as school goes, ends up being a great outside-the-box learning day!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
SSDreamin--yes, I roast my sugar pie pumpkins whole in the oven. Put them in a roasting pan on 400. Cut the top like you were going to do a jack-o-lantern and scoop out the guts as much as you can. My mom sprays the whole outside of the pumpkin with oil, like Pam or something but I don't, and then bake it until it falls apart, about an hour or so. The inside of the pumpkin will start to separate from the outside shell and you can just scoop it out that way. Really easy. I use my electric hand mixer to puree the pumpkin and it also helps to get out any strings from inside cause they will wind around the beaters. I freeze any leftover pumpkin puree in 1 or 2 cup portions.
can I do this with acorn squash's and just freeze them for later use in soups and such?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So my morning started off with both my kids fighting each other tooth and nail....I already have sent them both to their rooms 3 times now and it is only 9:00. :barnie Gonna be a FUN day.

Then I had to stick my hand in a toilet full of pee to get one of my son's toys out of it.

I'm going to the library in a bit for story time and I'm gonna relish in the quiet of the library. I'm thinking that if the rain holds off I'm gonna take the kids to the park and let them run around and wear themselves out. They have a really good nature trail that has stuff labeled so we may try to collect some stuff for their nature books.

I went out to the field to shoot my new gun for the first time yesterday evening and hubby bought me the wrong bullets. :he So I have to take them back to Bass Pro Shops and exchange them.

I also have to stop and get some pollen patties at the feed store for the bees too. I also need a bag of layena. The new plants in the garden are looking good so far....I got some things in late but I'm hoping to still get something out of the garden this year. I have beets coming up, pumpkin plants coming up, broccoli, cabbage, and brussel sprouts about 8 inches tall and I think I have a kohlrabi plant growing. I have lettuce still and cukes coming up. I have them close enough to the fence that if I need to put a cover on them I have something to lay it on. It is only supposed to be 62 degrees tomorrow with the lows in the lower 50s. We are supposed to get rain in the evenings for the next 3 days.

This weekend is the big "Field Day of the Past" event. We are hoping to go on Sunday...they even have some southern gospel bands and an early morning church service there that morning. A friend of ours is a tobacco enthusiast and has a ridiculous collection of tobacco related items at his house...he could seriously start a museum....anyway, he donated some items for display at the event and hopefully he'll be there. They have built a primitive cabin, smokehouse, and early pioneer type store on site. They have pig racing, plowing and horse demonstrations, horse pulling competitions, antique tractors, early mill demonstrations, all kinds of stuff. It should be a really fun day and Sunday there is not supposed to be any chance of rain and the temps are supposed to be in the low 80s so it will be a good day to go. I love this kind of stuff and I'm hoping the kids have fun. They are gonna have all different kinds of livestock there too so it will be interesting.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Annoying children plus mom with a hand gun.....

I am thinking the wrong bullets might not be a bad think right now :D

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shoot the new gun! Sounds like the perfect way to blow of some steam. What kind of gun did you get?? DH just brought home a .44 mag and I can't wait to shoot it!! Sorry the kids are being crazy....send them to school!!! :p