Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your brahma, Lori. We intend to have chickens once we are settled and seeing all the losses of the folks here just scares me.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it goes along with the territory I suppose. We haven't had any predator loss in a long time so to have so many back to back that could have been preventable just sucks. I am thinking we just didn't clip her wings enough, or the other brahma's cause she was out too. Chad is going to help me check them again today and clip some more I think.

The good news is that there is a swap on Saturday. I am planning on taking my extra pair of black ducks and maybe picking up 2 or 3 extra hens that are laying or close to it if they have anything good. I am thinking that maybe next spring I may just put in a small order from meyers or something and get 6 or 7 of all different kinds of breeds so that we have a good mix in the barnyard. I'm gonna try my best to get down to 4 ducks. I have a guy coming to get the chocolate pair tomorrow and the lady that was getting the ducklings last week has been really sick and it was going around her entire family so she told me she would rather not come get them last week since it was obvious that whatever they had was contagious. I have no problems with that. Hopefully she comes this week and I can put in my order for meat birds with Meyer.

On a lighter note....we had a blast at Field Day of the Past! This was the 20th anniversary and it was really good. Next year we will plan a little better for it though. We would definitely go earlier and get the kids armbands for the rides cause it was crazy expensive to just buy the tickets individually. Had I known the rides took more tickets I would have gotten them the bands to begin with but for this time we got 25 tickets and just made them "choose wisely". They were disappointed that they only got to ride a few rides but oh well, live and learn.

We got to see Robinson's Racing Pigs, which was hysterical. It was like a mixture of county fair, flea market, amusement park and pioneer demonstrations. It was great. We got to see how they smoke hams in the smokehouse, an old tobacco barn where a good friend of ours had his collection along with some of my great-granddaddy's tobacco sticks, an typical early "homestead cabin", an old fashioned sorghum mill, steam powered sawmill, hit and miss engines, tractor pull, an entire equestrian field, pioneer campsite and ox drawn covered wagon, civil war displays, the civil war mobil education unit, wild west rodeo show complete with longhorn cattle and wolves, spinning and weaving demonstrations, old train car and caboose, 4-H animal competitions, all kinds of stuff. Between all of us we spent $80 for the entire day and that was admission, ride costs, games, and food for the day. I didn't think that was too bad. The food was the worst...$20 for 2 bottles of water, one bottle of soda, and 3 chicken fingers with fries. We all split it. I got some really good pictures and I think I'll have the kids so a project with them. I'll post some later.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, so I thought I would share some pics from Field Day of the Past

Here are the kids on the rides
100_6618.jpg

100_6633.jpg

100_6649.jpg

milking the fake cow
100_6656.jpg

Robinson's Racing pigs
100_6669.jpg

The pioneer exhibit and petting their oxen
100_6671.jpg

100_6673.jpg

Spinning lesson and old homestead exhibit
100_6680.jpg

100_6683.jpg

Civil war camp
100_6684.jpg

Blacksmith
100_6693.jpg

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a similar festival coming up that I love. On site buildings like pioneer log house, old schoolhouse, old farm house, old grain mill, old saw mill, and old barn. There are demos of lard rendering, apple butter stirring, sorghum pressing, wool spinning and dieing, early printing machine, candling making, steam engines, and much more. The food usually is very good and old fashioned (no carnival trailers) and fairly priced. The only rides are pony rides and hayrides. Vendors are crafters and most stuff uses primitive skills. Can't wait!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
This was a mixture of stuff....there was a lady there making lye soap in a big kettle, the civil war mobile was there, the old flour mills and sorghum presses, steam powered stuff, horse pulling competitions. Then on the flip side there was a wild west rodeo show, pony rides, carnival rides and games, flea market and artisan stands...there was one guy there making water fountains with driftwood and old tea kettles and coffee pots and hand pumps and wagon wheels with pieces of fencing for backdrops that were just gorgeous! There was a guy doing wood sculpture with a chainsaw, people selling outdoor wood stoves and tractors and equipment, lots of tractor stuff and a tractor pull, and the kid's favorite and mine too was probably the 4-H exhibits. There was a good mix of animals there and we got to talk to several people about some cows but the kids got to see a lot of animals that they don't normally get to see. There were some cool breeds of chickens and lots of mules and donkeys and a mammoth jack. The horses were gorgeous and the pair of oxen the kids are rubbing were enormous.

The weekend had a lot of rain so we were leary of even going in the first place but I'm glad we got a break in the rain Sunday and were able to go. We will definitely go next year. We went last year to an old plantation with ties to Jefferson here in Chesterfield county called Eppington house and we had a blast there too. We may do that one again. There seems to be a lot more exhibits at the old plantations here in VA opening up to the public this year so we definitely want to take advantage of that.

Granny and Papa got here last night and are gonna stay till Friday morning so Chad and I can go out to dinner for our anniversary Thursday night. The kids are loving it and grandma sent two bags of candy, painting supplies, modeling clay, and school workbooks for each of the kids. Last night Tyler was asking me all about dynamite again...I told him I would look up some videos today so he could see how it works. We had a discussion the other day about the difference between ignite and explode. Gotta love 6 yr olds.

Papa brought me a concealment holster for my .357 and a zippered case big enough to put my ammo in with the gun. Did I mention he was a former gun dealer??? Probably where I get it from :p

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love festivals like that! How fun.
Hope you have a great time with Granny and Papa :)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a snub nose .357 - I love it!

We have a similar festival coming up (minus the rides), a Florida cracker and native indian festival. We've never gone, but I think this year we'll go take a look. Looks like you all had a great time.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well...we had a pretty good anniversary...hubby took me to the firing range and then out to PF Changs for dinner. :D

They even gave us free range fees since it was our anniversary...:lol:

I am such a redneck.
cowboypistol.gif

We have been busy with granny and papa here but they left this morning so it is back to normal. Trimmed the goats' hooves tonight and all I can say is, God bless my husband. There is no way I could hold those goats down to trim their hooves. They HATE it. In their defense their hooves were really bad and I am a bad goat mommy that let them go waaaaaaay too long. We had to trim them a lot. I imagine they are sore. I gave them all a scoop of food with some probios powder on it and will continue to do so for the next couple of days cause I know it stressed them out.

Chicken swap tomorrow and I am taking my remaining pair of black indian runners that I have left to sell, leaving me with one male and 3 females. Hopefully it won't rain us out and I'll sell them. The lady that is coming to get the ducklings has still got 3 sick grandkids and now her husband is sick to but she assures me she is coming to get the babies Friday even if she has to wear a face mask and rubber gloves to do it. She seems really sweet and we have been emailing at least 3 times a week. I feel like I know her already.

The kids have been driving me crazy but I am sure it is cause we have had 4 straight days of rain and they cannot go out and play. It's killing me too to be honest.

Once the lady comes to get the ducklings I will be ordering the meaties....yippie. Hope I don't get another one with a kickstand like last year....I shoulda taken a picture of that. :sick

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I wish we had a pioneer day like that in Alaska.
Say, next time you trim hooves. put them in the milking stand with their favorite treats. Then just pick up each foot in turn.
I grew up with the whole sitting on them as well, and I went looking for a better way once I got goats of my own.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That looks like a very fun event, I would enjoy something like that even with my kids being older.

Sorry about your hen. I just lost one of my extra roos the other day the same way, he just came home late and I locked him out on accident. The next day the neighbor noticed his feathers in the road. We have an unowned dog that roams around here at night and I'm pretty sure that he or the coyotes got him.