Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hope Maddie was doing better today. My LO's are coming down with a cold that I brought home. Poor little ones don't get to go visit Grandma tomorrow. Hope all goes well at the safari park as well.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, MIL came up Friday and wanted to go out to dinner...at like 8 o'clock. So it was a late night and then a very long day Saturday. Friday we spent the whole day cleaning the house and cleaning out the kids' rooms and rearranging their furniture. Saturday I got up and milked and fed everyone and then we left at 8am after I got a phone call from my mother at 7:45 wanting to know if we were on the way yet because she just found out that the wagon left at 10. It took over 2 hours to get there and we had to stop for breakfast and potty breaks. We got there at 10:30 and missed the wagon so we drove through the park in our durango. It was sooooo cool! We got some good pictures. Then we ate lunch with the church group and went through the walking part (like a zoo) They have chickens and potbellied pigs roaming around, peacocks too. We went in to feed the lorakeets and they had a pair of black cochins and their baby in with them. I made the comment that they were beautiful cochins and the zoo lady was very impressed and said "I think you are the only person I have ever heard of that knew what kind of chickens those are!" Then after a few very tense hours with my mom and MIL and a tug of war over who was gonna buy the kids something from the gift shop we went back through the drive through park again. A giant Watusi cow slobbered all over Chad and I nearly got pecked to death by an ostrich. We had a really close encounter with some elks too.

We left at 8 and got home at 7pm. Just in time to heat up a bowl of soup for everyone, milk and close up all the animals, take quick baths, read a book and collapse. We all went to bed at 9. Sunday Chad had to work so I cleaned out the garden, put straw in some of the beds, mulched the strawberries, cleaned out some weeds, cooked a big pumpkin (I got 12 cups of puree from that sucker), ground some of BIL's deer roast to make tacos for dinner, mowed the grass until after dark, and then milked again, took baths, read books and collapsed again.

He had to meet with his nanny's power of attorney cause apparantly her money has run out and she didn't feel the need to share this with us until she was COMPLETELY broke. Now she is going to be $800-$1000 short every month. 6 months ago we asked her how nanny's finances were and she told us "fine". I want to smack her. Now my husband is talking about getting a second job to help pay nanny's bills so we don't have to move her into another facility that she can afford. My MIL owes her thousands of dollars and hasn't paid it and I think she needs to step up and take care of her mother. It would be like us having another mortgage payment every month....I don't want my husband to have to work his fingers to the bone because his mother doesn't want to deal with it. She offered to help us out this past weekend but we didn't know how bad it was until the meeting last night.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay....if you are ever in Virginia you HAVE to go to Natural Bridge Safari Park! We got to touch all kinds of animals and get up close and personal with them. Llamas, emus, rheas, ostriches, zebras, elk, bison, axis deer, fallow deer, japanese sika deer, Pere David's deer, dromedary camels, bactrian camels, giraffes, bongos, dama gazelles, scimitar horned oryx, arabian oryx, elands, blackbucks, wildebeests, nilgai, yaks, swamp water buffalo, scottish highland cattle, watusi cattle, vietnamese pot bellied pigs, lorikeets, peacocks, tigers, monkeys, kangaroos, tortises, lemurs, flamingoes, sloth, goats, pheasants, snakes, and lots more. It was only $15 per adult (with feed buckets) and $12 per child (with feed buckets) and you could stay as long as you wanted and go through the park in your own car multiple times or ride a wagon with a tour guide. They do have group discounts :) we went with my mom's church group and fall is definitely the time to go cause the animals are really active and HUNGRY :D

Here's some pictures....

llamas
100_7069.jpg

I am NOT petting a zebra!
100_7087.jpg

Help, there's a bison in my car!
100_7101.jpg

HUGE elk
100_7110.jpg

MIL feeding an ostrich
100_7123.jpg

Tyler feeding the ostrich
100_7140.jpg

100_7233.jpg

watusi cows...one with a potbellied pig for size reference...one drooled all over Chad! LOL
100_7147.jpg

100_7241.jpg

100_7237.jpg

feeding the giraffes
100_7200.jpg

feeding the lorikeets
100_7215.jpg

100_7221.jpg

and a beautiful pair of cochins with their baby...they had chickens roaming all over the park
100_7205.jpg

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow - looks like a lot of fun! Tyler's face when he's feeding the ostrich is priceless!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok, I think that ostritch would make me pee my pants!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I had a run in with a goat this morning.

Bethoron is just being a pain in the butt. She was supposed to be in heat Mon-Tues and Monday night she reacted to the buck rag, tail flicking talking and slammed Aliana into the fence multiple times, but then a couple hours later...nothing. I called the breeder and talked to her husband and said that I would probably end up taking her up there Tues cause she was just starting to show some response to the buck rag and the last time she was in heat it went on for days. Well, got up yesterday and nothing. Not so much as a tail flick. She did try to eat the plastic bag the buck rag was in though. :rolleyes:

Last night I talked to the breeder and she thinks that there are two possibilities. 1-that short time of response Monday night was "it" and we missed it because sometimes first timers (Beth has never been bred) have incredibly short heat cycles and if that is the case then I need to take her up there and leave her for several days when we think she is close so that B can catch it and breed her immediately or 2-the snap of really warm weather has triggered a false heat and she may come into a "true heat" in a week or so. Personally, I'm hoping for option 2.

So this morning after a night of rain I get up to two whining dogs, get them fed and watered, feed the cat, get all the chickens and ducks fed and watered, go to check on the meat chicks and discover that one of the bulbs has burnt out in the heat lamp....second one this week so far....feed the goats and milk Aliana...put her back in and realize they need more hay and water....go back in the house and put the milk in the freezer, get another bulb for the heat lamp, change the feeder for the meaties to avoid a stampede like this mornings episode, change the bulb in the heat lamp, get two flakes of hay for the goats, fill a five gallon bucket for them, open the gate (with the hay in one hand and the bucket in the other) and get bulldozed by Bethoron. :rant I slam the gate shut, put the hay in the feeder, get the bucket out of the way, and then have to run all over the yard to catch Bethoron and get her back in the pasture. I get a hand on her collar and she nearly drags me off my feet running away from me but I managed to hold on to her and get her back in. Dang goat. She'd better have triplets. :somad

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow Lori, you have had a busy morning already! I know I missed Suzies heat last month....but I wasn't ready to breed. I don't have electric in the barn, and can not afford to have Jan. or Feb. babies. How often will they come into heat?? This is my first time...so, I am a newbie with the breeding thing. I was hoping to breed her in December..