Lost 4 Hens Today Due to the Heat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We lost four hens today, one BO and three EE's. It's a shame, as one of the EE's was my wife's favorite. I am assuming it was due to the heat since they were otherwise healthy. The thermometer on our porch topped out at 108. We had both ends of the coop open, the windows open, and a 48 inch wide walk through door open, plus there was shade outside of the coop for them. I am bummed. :(

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
holy cow! sorry about that - i just heard that its gonna be another hotsy totsy for you.
:-(

can you set up a sprinkler in the hen yard??

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:hugs So sorry. I take it you've tried to give them as much shade as you can?

it's been hot here, too, 110 a couple days ago. My hens have an enclosed run on the west side, and a fenced area on the east that has a mixture of wild grasses and brome in it. On the hottest days I go outside and spray water all over the grassy area two or three times during the afternoon. The wind blowing across there helps to cool the air down low where the hens are. They usually are under the coop, but run right out into the wet grass for a few minutes. I keep the south side of the coop shaded as much as I can with landscape fabric stapled over the tops of the windows (on the inside) and a piece of scrap siding leaning against the fencing that's at the bottom of the coop.

I also water under the coop, mostly just the north side, first thing in the morning and in the afternoon when I freshen their waterers. Most of the west side (under the coop) is blocked now to keep some of the late afternoon sun out. I freeze a couple milk jugs of water, and put one under the coop so the air might get a bit cooler as the wind goes by it. The condensation gives them something cold to peck at and I figured if it got really bad, someone could snuggle next to it.

I was going to plant gourds on the south side of the coop, but didn't get it done (again!). When the wild sunflowers are seeding, I'm going to get some of that seed and put it there on the south side. At least then I don't have to worry about getting an extra garden hose just to reach that area.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So sorry for your losses, k0xxx. :(

My coop has an enclosed pen which fortunately gets shade in the afternoon, & I add ice cubs to their waterer a few times a day, but I still worry about them in this heat.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Oh, that is sad! I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs I would HATE to go out and find that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We lost a hen yesterday. 102 and heat index of 115. I have been freezing jugs of water and put them in their water buckets to try to help them stay cool as well. It seems to be working pretty well, else we might have lost more by now I would think. It is too hot!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of your loss! :hugs

We hit 112.5 in the shade here yesterday. Since we have a small dorm fridge I'm not able to freeze 2 liter bottles so I've been adding ice cubes to their water and a splash of gatorade for electrolytes. Got two, 20 ounce bottles in the freezer now in hopes that it'll work to keep the water cooler for th birds than the ice cubes.