Lots of use from little land.......

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A number of people here have acreage- even 5 acres seems large to me.
So I would love to gather ideas for maxing the use of the land available.

Anyone under two acres- I love hear your multi-purposing of garden and livestock.

I have 2 and 1/2 acres of which 3/4 of an acre is in redwoods and not useful for much except getting out limbs and stuff- no livestock graze- what grows there regrows too slow to let the goats have much of it.

There is no way I can avoid buying hay for my goats and horses.
But I do cut back my roses, fruit trees and other things while it is still in leaf, earlier than most people because I use it as supplimental feed (mostly treats,) for my girls. Sort of next day composting. All they have to do is see the clippers in my hands and they are running to me.

I have two manure piles in the woods- the shade keeps down insects and the composted manure is spread on the bit of grass I have for grazing. My land is very poor for grass production but the goats help keep the weeds down and I close off a section of it each year to allow the grass to recover some.

My front yard has only a small area for flowers- the rest is for herbs and vegies.
The "lawn" is set up so that the horses can graze it down for me- I can control how much they are in there in order not to let it get as nuked as the larger paddocks.
In order to let the animals graze as much as possible even around the house, I have removed anything that is poisonous to them, especially if it seeds easily. It was hard to sacrifice my Rhodi's but it was not worth the worry that they might get into them and kill themselves.

I keep thinking chickens but I don't know if I have it in me to clean up after more animals.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
ETR- I recommend the book, Country Life: A Handbook for Realists and Dreamers by Paul Heiney; DK Publishing 1998.

I love it because it just shows everything as possibilities. This book shows how the author and his wife went from a home in London, England to a multi-acre large farm. "Homesteading" in London, included fruit trees for landscaping, a veg garden, composting, bees, rabbits, ducks or chicken (I can't recall).

Each chapter covers the different aspects of farming depending on the size of your land: city lot, 1 acre, 3 acres, 5 acres, 8 acres, 20 acres, etc. He even addresses growing wheat and hay on small land holdings, and talks about farming with horse power. The author also discusses harvesting and storing the fruits of your labor and apple cider making. While the book isn't in print anymore, it may be available from your library system or Amazon.

Personally, we tilled up a portion of our lawn and planted pasture grasses and winter wheat. We also stuck berries and grapes in with the landscaping and flowers.

edited for spelling

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh that is my personal favorate book too...they show you everything! It really encouraged me. My MIL gave me a gift cert for a bookstore here to order it but they can't get it.

Have you seen the "USED" price for that book lately? Think like $130...no kidding

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I live on just under 2 acres so your post caught my attention since I'm also trying to figure out how to get lots of use from little land! One thing to keep in mind if you're considering chickens is that you don't need a flock of 20 chickens, like many people usually get. If you're interested in chickens because you want eggs, and if it's just you and your husband (which I think is the case but correct me if I'm wrong) all you need is 3 chickens of a good laying breed and you will have more eggs than you know what to do with. My husband and I have 3 chickens. They started laying in October of 2007 and we haven't had to buy eggs ever since, and typically we're able to sell a dozen once a week to help pay for their feed. The coop is basically a dog house with a small run attached. I only clean it out maybe 5-6 times a year because they spend a large part of the spring, summer, fall, free ranging, and in the winter I let the litter build up and keep adding fresh shavings every week, for added warmth. So as far as cleaning up after them, there isn't much involved, and they're delightful little critters that make me breakfast, so I have no complaints!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Oh that is my personal favorate book too...they show you everything! It really encouraged me. My MIL gave me a gift cert for a bookstore here to order it but they can't get it.

Have you seen the "USED" price for that book lately? Think like $130...no kidding
Yeah, MC! Crazy! DH wanted to get me a copy for Christmas one year, because I take the book out of the library just about every 3 months (for inspiration) and he said it was going for $250 in fair condition! :th

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
keljonma said:
MorelCabin said:

Yeah, MC! Crazy! DH wanted to get me a copy for Christmas one year, because I take the book out of the library just about every 3 months (for inspiration) and he said it was going for $250 in fair condition! :th
Ya I'm really thinking about borrowing it from the library and "losing" it. I wonder how much the 'lost' fee would be??? LOL!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
keljonma said:
MorelCabin said:

Ya I'm really thinking about borrowing it from the library and "losing" it. I wonder how much the 'lost' fee would be??? LOL!
At our local library, it is the cost to replace it as new - whatever that might be

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, new is $39...if they can find it:>) I wonder how they look these things up LOL! If it's that much I will simply ask for another week or so to 'look for it' HAHA! I am being terrible, I know...

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I have just under 2 acres. We have nearly 20 chickens. But, we can easily eat a dozen eggs a day!! We have had as many as 76 chickens at one time because we had meat chickens.
I plan on having turkeys this year. We also plan on having a larger garden and putting in more fruit trees and bushes. I can see us being able to plant enough food for nearly all of our needs on just our 2 acres....but, it will be a lot of work. On my 2 acres we have plenty of room for at least 5 goats...maybe more. I have no desire to have a pig but we would have room for at least two...plus the goats and chickens. If I could talk myself...because I handle the $$...into putting up a fence around our backyard so we did not have problems with the neighbors dogs (which are a problem right now) we would be able to have several animals as long as we bought feed. The more I am on SS the more potential I see in my property. Instead of planting ornamental flowers on the side of my house I want to plant large sunflowers to be able to give to my chickens.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey ETR I have alot of land but can give some ideas maybe.

my house is on 5 acres. about 4 is horse pasture and my fun goats, and 3/4 acre is where my big red carport is where my lawnmowers and small tractor are and where I process my veggies for market. And it is my "big turnaround" for my gooseneck trailer, Tony's big trailers, and all that----then my house is about 1/2 acre...front and back.

Your 3/4 acre? Is there anyway you can harvest the redwoods? Is there a market for this wood? Can you take some down. First step to needing more land in a way is use what you have available. So even if you can take down even 1/2 that forest, you have ready land for pasture, garden, anything. that may not be an option????

Or can you clear cut just a section along the edge to give you room for a small chicken coop? Chickens are super duper easy to maintain. Literally a small A frame type coop and a dog run. Like annemarie said, 3-5 chickens is nothing to take care of I don't think.

I used my backyard as a horse pasture also. (I don't ever let the goats in again cause they ate my lilac bushes and destroyed trees, hmm..you know)---but the horse did great in the backyard. I did like you, never brought her in when it rained and such due to deep hoof prints! :)

So if not using your 3/4 acre isn't an option------then maybe free range a couple of heavy meat birds in your pasture with the horses. Heavy breeds don't fly cause they have too much weight and lay eggs. So good combo. Easy to train to sleep in a small coop to roost at night. BUT you might have to look for eggs on the ground out there..LOL

you are utitilizing your front yard. that is great. I am thinking of turning my front yard into all natural NC plantings and forget the grass. no mowing and great for birds and such.

but chickens is the best bang for your yard because they give back eggs and meat. dual combo critter. that is the best we can hope for...they provide while living, and provide when done.

My mind keeps going to that 3/4 acre you have in forest...LOL....I know there is use there---maybe if it is usable and feasible to work.

You don't want grazing animals. Seems you are at your limit on space with grazers and they are so hard on grass in small areas. BUT if milk is what you want, 1 small mini type cow would be fine to put in with the horses I am sure. That way you breed her, get your fresh milk, sell the calf or process for yourself.....again 1 mini should be OK on your paddocks...but it means more hay feeding of course. Again, not sure if this is an option to store more hay for a big, even if mini mouth, to feed..lol BUT a horse and cow would get along fine and she will be useful for the milk and cheese and butter etc. you can make.

How many paddocks do you rotate? You could put the chickens on the paddock that is being left open to grow....and then when the horses come back....move the chickens to the other paddock. IS this fencing possible to contain them?

I know alot of questions and even I seem confused with what I wrote..LOL

Sounds like you have a nice set up on your property and have great usage already.