Lots of use from little land.......

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Dace referred me to a site once called Path to Freedom. They family lives in Pasadena City Ca. Emphasis on the "city" They have 1/5 an acre and grow 6,000 lbs of food a year.
http://www.pathtofreedom.com/about/urbanhomestead.shtml
Now THAT'S what I am talking about. Gives me hope for my 7200 sq ft.

So far I have 2 apple trees, 1 pear tree, 2 grape vines, lots of rhubarb (great for vitamin C), and 2 large Maple trees I may tap this year. I also have an herb garden (chives, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chocolate mint, sage) and grow vegetables throughout the landscaping. I am also creating 3 raised beds on the North side of my house for greens and other things that can handle some shade and like it cooler.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Wifezilla- I think that what you are doing is what it is all about- looking a each niche of your place and finding a reasonable use for it. I personally find vegetable beds can be very pretty as landscaping.

The trouble with those Pasedena people as a model for all, is that in their climate growing all year is possible without much energy. A wood stove for heat in a place that doesn't see temperatures drop below 45 in most years wouldn't take up much room- in Maine it might take up half the yard for a season's wood pile. Not that what they do isn't remarkable - they have made great use of what is available and work hard at it.

Doing what you can is what is possible. And I guess that is my goal. I love taking care of animals (most of the time,) and want my place to be a good enviroment for those animals that allow me a good life too. I want as closed a system as is possible which means effeciency in everything.
The animal manure needs to be used- so gardening is needed- I grow what I want using this product. The goats eat down the weeds so little gas is needed for weed wacking or mowing- I have the roses for beauty but the goats eat the trimmings, making them useful too.
I have been thinking of adding more shrub roses so that their growth can be a regular feed for the girls- roses grow well here and appreciate the manure- deheading becomes fun when the goats follow me along the fence to grab spent roses I throw over.

Hmmmmm- I need to start cruising friends yards to see if I can get clippings to root for more roses- they root easy and will save money.
The only limit is the lack of water here in the late summer and early fall.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yes, being in California IS cheating, isn't it? LOL

After my ducks start laying I will see if I can increase my flock without destroying my yard....then maybe add some bantam chickens....bwaa haa haa

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Wifezilla- I think that what you are doing is what it is all about- looking a each niche of your place and finding a reasonable use for it. I personally find vegetable beds can be very pretty as landscaping.

The trouble with those Pasedena people as a model for all, is that in their climate growing all year is possible without much energy. A wood stove for heat in a place that doesn't see temperatures drop below 45 in most years wouldn't take up much room- in Maine it might take up half the yard for a season's wood pile. Not that what they do isn't remarkable - they have made great use of what is available and work hard at it.

Doing what you can is what is possible. And I guess that is my goal. I love taking care of animals (most of the time,) and want my place to be a good enviroment for those animals that allow me a good life too. I want as closed a system as is possible which means effeciency in everything.
The animal manure needs to be used- so gardening is needed- I grow what I want using this product. The goats eat down the weeds so little gas is needed for weed wacking or mowing- I have the roses for beauty but the goats eat the trimmings, making them useful too.
I have been thinking of adding more shrub roses so that their growth can be a regular feed for the girls- roses grow well here and appreciate the manure- deheading becomes fun when the goats follow me along the fence to grab spent roses I throw over.

Hmmmmm- I need to start cruising friends yards to see if I can get clippings to root for more roses- they root easy and will save money.
The only limit is the lack of water here in the late summer and early fall.
Ohhh I completely agree with you regarding growing season. We are in the deep freeze here LOL. Though, in reality I could grow smaller vegetables indoors because I do have a room I can put a grow light in, and we do get a considerable amount of light.

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Rabbits are excellent for raising meat on small lots. They produce lots of great fertilizer that can be made even better by raising bait worms in it. If a person plays their cards right they can sell the rabbits, worms and worm casts.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
My grandmother did that during the depression.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
That is what I mean- raising rabbits with a second or even third use from the manure.
There is a learning curve with any animal- how you keep it healthy and productive. My learning with goats was a lot more than I expected. Somehow I felt that, as I have had horses for 45 years, goats would be a breeze. Not at all- goats were a lot harder- even dealing with my vets, who consider goats as a throw-a-way animal. I give my own vaccinations, antibiotics if needed, learned about goat diseases and how to recognize if there is a problem. All a challenge. And not to be learned from books no matter how helpful.
That's one of the things that makes me nervous about getting chickens- another animal to learn about.............. :rolleyes:

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am on a measly little acre. But compared to most lots in our town it is HUGE. We have chickens but no goats. I wish there was some way I could "test drive" a goat or two to see if it would work here. For 2009 I am just trying to maintain what I've got, garden wise, and not add more work for myself. But my DH has plans for more berries and some fruit trees.

A reasonable goal for me would be to increase my "self sufficiency" by about ten percent each year.

ETR, you should give chickens a try. They are really easy and don't take up too much space. We have all of the predators that you mentioned but we buried hardware cloth in concrete around the perimeter of our coop, and all has been well.

I think you are lucky to live in the redwoods! We try to visit "down there" (from Oregon) at least once a year.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, being in California IS cheating, isn't it? LOL

So I had this big long reply to the above statement. But it sounded catty and a bit defensive. So I will try again.

California does have amazing weather. We have only had a handfull of nights below 40 and even today it was warm and sunny. About 70 degrees with a light breeze. But we do have challenges as well. I think as any SS person might. We do what we can with what we have. That is the whole point isn't it?

Some of my challenges,
1% property Tax per year.
We had 3 inches of rain in the last 12 months.
If I chose to heat with wood it would need to be purchased. I have no trees.
I am lucky I live on "county land" I can have chickens, cow etc.. Most Californians can't.
I cant dig a well or put up a turbine, the city prohibits any thing over 30 ft tall. Even your house.

I don't mean to say the weather is not a plus. I am very spoiled in that department. But we just have different challenges.

momofdrew

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
has anyone seen Garden Girl TV on Youtube?? she tells you how to be SS in the city on little land...