Lots of use from little land.......

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Yes, being in California IS cheating, isn't it? LOL

So I had this big long reply to the above statement. But it sounded catty and a bit defensive. So I will try again.

California does have amazing weather. We have only had a handfull of nights below 40 and even today it was warm and sunny. About 70 degrees with a light breeze. But we do have challenges as well. I think as any SS person might. We do what we can with what we have. That is the whole point isn't it?

Some of my challenges,
1% property Tax per year.
We had 3 inches of rain in the last 12 months.
If I chose to heat with wood it would need to be purchased. I have no trees.
I am lucky I live on "county land" I can have chickens, cow etc.. Most Californians can't.
I cant dig a well or put up a turbine, the city prohibits any thing over 30 ft tall. Even your house.

I don't mean to say the weather is not a plus. I am very spoiled in that department. But we just have different challenges.
Plus, not every californian lives in prime area. My uncle lives in Wrightwood and he got 2 ft of snow the other week!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Yeah- California is a very diverse place- where I live I am within ten miles of the Pacific coast with almost never a snowflake and mountains where they have 10-12 feet each winter. I myself get snow for a month or so. I live in the first set of coastal hills and get lots of rain- 50 inches in the winter is a dry year. About 40 miles from here is a place that routinely gets 100 to 200 inches of rain a year. But there are places where it almost never rains.
In the Sierras there are lots of homes that I have seen with a staircase going up the side of the house to a second or third floor so they can get out over the snow in the winter.

Again- it's making the most of what you have that works for you and working around the problems.

Where I am, it's too much water in the winter and none at all in the summer.