Loveless Cafe's pork chops

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried this recipe tonight and the family loved it, wanted to pass along to others and see if you all liked it!

Loveless Cafe Braised Pork Chops.
I doubled the sauce except the sugar.
Recipe from "Southern Country Cooking from the Loveless Cafe," by Jane and Michael Stern.

SERVES 4
Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons canola oil (I used olive oil)
* 36 ounces boneless center cut pork chops, trimmed of any fat
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce (I used Worce.)
* 1 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1 sprig fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions

1.Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat.
2.Brown pork chops on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
3.Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together mustard, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt with 1/3 cup water.
4.Pour over pork chops. Reduce heat, cover, and cook until tender, about 1 hour.
5.Transfer pork to a serving platter.
6.Raise heat to medium-high and cook sauce until thickened, about 5 minutes.
7.Pour sauce over pork chops; garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
YUM!! :drool

Honest to goodness, I've never even cooked a pork chop! I like them, I just never cooked them myself. I'll definitely have to try this recipe!

Thanks!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
By the smell of the sauce I kinda thought OH man, they are going to complain but they all finished their huge pork chop and asked for more. I think balsamic would be a good exchange for the red wine vinegar and even less sugar next time.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't cook pork chops right, ever. :( They are always dry dry dry. I even read in a cooking magazine that since pigs are now bred to be leaner then they used to, that they tend to get dry. So if I ever cook pork chops again I will find a butcher that has decent pork. (And probably will NOT trim any fat, lol!) I do love pork chops from restaurants, they aren't usually dry.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Hennypenny one thing I learned a long time ago is to never salt meat while it is cooking only after that will help keep it from drying out a lot.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
YUM!! :drool

Honest to goodness, I've never even cooked a pork chop! I like them, I just never cooked them myself. I'll definitely have to try this recipe!

Thanks!
WHAT!!! GIRL!!!! You are about to have a couple hundred pounds of pig in your freezer, you need to have been practicing!!! (runs off to start a BBH pork intervention thread....) :gig

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
I can't cook pork chops right, ever. :( They are always dry dry dry. I even read in a cooking magazine that since pigs are now bred to be leaner then they used to, that they tend to get dry. So if I ever cook pork chops again I will find a butcher that has decent pork. (And probably will NOT trim any fat, lol!) I do love pork chops from restaurants, they aren't usually dry.
It sounds counterintuitive, but brining is a great way to get a juicy pork chop. Ditto with chicken. You use water and lemon juice, and then add kosher salt (not table salt, or it's waayyyyy too salty). Let them marinate, and you'll get pork chops that will knock your socks off.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes Kate brining works great as well!

The marinade allows the salt to go through the meat and brings extra moisture (and flavors) in with it. What is bad is when people salt the outside only of meat while cooking it. The salt pulls the moisture out from inside the meat.

The same reason why you SHOULD salt veggies when you are sauteing them up. The salt helps them to soften faster.