LovinLife- Happy New Year's all!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
I'm also spending a fortune in feed.
Sorry to butt in here, but I'm curious about this comment. Are you keeping track of the market value of meat, eggs, milk, etc? That's the only way to put the expenses in perspective. If you're spending a lot but making more, it's OK. Are your animals actually making your poorer? If so, I suggest you cut back until it's a wash.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is so true K1

I was lucky. I bought all feeds by the ton and got a 10% farm discount on top of the feed ton costs.

I baled my own hay and alot of it.

I had tons of pasture for animals.

One thing, if you can feed yourself you make way more profit.....but also, if you are in it for 'fresh foods' for your family then it also means that paying a bit for good homeraised food is a good thing and you pay less than if you purchased pasture raised, organic raised foods and all that mess they charge alot of money for nowadays.

but yes, one can be animal poor very quickly if you don't have the land to produce feeds etc

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
tortoise said:
Eat the nasty young bull, get back on GF and maybe things will sort out for a while?
I would love to stock the freezer with him and at 18 months of age it's a perfect time for him to go to freezer camp. The only problem is DH won't let me. I may try to talk him into it exp now that I KNOW the girls are bred.
I realize that he is a mini, but I do have to make a comment about that little (VERY beautiful) little bull. He is a DAIRY breed bull - first and foremost - no matter his size. Do a bit of research on Dairy Bulls, their aggressive temperaments was one of the major reasons that AI for cattle was developed! Most dairy bulls are not pastured with the cows, because of their temperaments. They are often kept in small very secure paddocks by themselves unless they are being used for breeding.

I think you need to look at a different containment setup for your little man as well if possible. Maybe that would help take some of the pressure off of the pasture. Also you may need to size down a cow or two as well. The pasture will be in even more stress when those cows have calves at their sides eating grass as well. ;)

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi there! It's been a while but there hasn't been anything going on around here. I finished the semester up with all A's and will be taking three classes starting in two weeks.

We found homes for the two rescue dogs I had and they are doing great!

I tried going GF but found it too hard. I didn't know what to eat so I was going hungry most of the time. Maybe I'll try it again later.

I planted all my trees (aka sticks) from Arbor Day along the edge of the woods. We'll see if they make it. I also have two apple trees I still need to plant.

We processed our first birds last night! We had four muscovies that I would have liked to keep for breeding but they were going into the neighbor's pond so we had to send them to freezer camp. We just skinned them because it was getting dark and it was really hard plucking! Now I'm looking for recipies for skinless duck.

:D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Good job on getting that schooling finished! :thumbsup

And you must skin Muscovues, because its take flat forever to pluck em (ask me how I know ;) )

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What about keeping livestock seasonally? Build up a flock in the spring, process them in late fall, vacation until spring. Keep calves for a year, then take a year off. That's one of my ideas for after we retire, since we want to travel and what not, but we also want to keep some livestock (need the manure for one thing).