Low carb?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DH is also diabetic. When I found out that potatoes were on the no-no list I about had a cow! Our favorite substitute is rutabagas. I had never even tried one befoe, but we love them. I put them in stews and soups and tonight I pan fried some with bacon and onions. Oh my goodness! They're about 1/3 the carbs of potatoes. Turnips are pretty good too - oven roasted is our favorite.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
my dh is diabetic also and we did the atkins diet. he lost @8-12 lbs a week, i lost 3:somad. so i didnt stay on it, but it works by eleminating carbs. go to your local hy vee and ask to see the diatican (most hyvees have one now) and she walked us threw the store and showed us what were the best to avoid and gave us alternitives for our favorite stuff. and some great info. she gave us a handout of good and bad carbs in foods.
Isn't it annoying how some people can lose weight with hardly a thought, and the rest of us have to work hard to more or less stay where we are? My DH used to be one of those too, but has lost that ability as he has got older. Poor guy; I think it is even harder on him because he never had to worry about his weight till he was in his 40's, and so doesn't really know how to deal with it. Now me ... I've had the concept (if not the deed ;)) as a part of me since I was a teen. Don't have a hy vee around here, but thanks for the information anyway :); it might be good for someone else.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
My DH is also diabetic. When I found out that potatoes were on the no-no list I about had a cow! Our favorite substitute is rutabagas. I had never even tried one befoe, but we love them. I put them in stews and soups and tonight I pan fried some with bacon and onions. Oh my goodness! They're about 1/3 the carbs of potatoes. Turnips are pretty good too - oven roasted is our favorite.
Cauliflower, and celery root are also good substitutes. We like them both mashed, and cauliflower makes an interesting rice-like option -- google cauliflower rice. I quite like rutabagas and turnips, DH not so much, so we are introducing them slowly.
I am down about 4# from about 10 days ago. Mostly water, I am sure ... but I'll take what I can get :lol:.