lower carb/no white flour zuccini bread?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so we have one big zuccinni in the garden...
and i want to make something that can be set aside in the freezer so dad can enjoy it in another month or so...
zuccini bread seems perfect...

i found a recipie online that calls for almond flour (which i have) and pecan meal...(which i dont) is there any way to make it without the pecan meal?
i do have garbanzo bean flour in my cubboard too.
wondering if i can do it wihtout having to go to the store and try to find pecan meal (or a grinder and a bunch of pecans so i can make it lol, pecans are expensive)

any thoughts, hints? tried and true lower carb recipies

or can i just use a normal recipie and sub the almond flor for regular flour?! ive never used alternative flours before but want to try and move away from white flour.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I always sub in whole-wheat pastry flour instead of the white and cut the sugar by 25-30%. No other changes are needed to account for these changes. Good luck!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
well, the whole wheat flour isn't really low-carb, but the bran does slow down the absorption of the carbs

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Just use all almond meal.

Whole wheat pastry flour would defeat the entire purpose. Whole wheat or not, people who have blood sugar issues, weight problems, brain cooties, etc... WILL suffer even with whole wheat over white flour.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Just use all almond meal.

Whole wheat pastry flour would defeat the entire purpose. Whole wheat or not, people who have blood sugar issues, weight problems, brain cooties, etc... WILL suffer even with whole wheat over white flour.
Yep yep. The mixed nuts is just for flavor :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
followed the suggestion did it all almond meal and added some chopped walnuts...

recipie was long the lines of
almond flour
baking soda
cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
vanilla,
organic honey
1 egg + 1 egg white
unsweetend applesauce
zucchini
chopped walnuts

oh my goodness it smells delicious!

i had to double the recipie as mums loaf pan is a larger one, and double the recipie made a lovely big loaf.
ill have to taste it before posting the official recipie, but it just came out of the oven and smells stunning :D

i havent been diagnosed with any gluten intolerances, but i do retain water when i eat too many white carbs, and since having wls and being epileptic with alot of other mental issues, i figure cutting back on the gluten couldnt hurt.
i cant do carb free, and i dont think ill ever cut out all white startches (i love pasta too much and dont like whole wheat...hmm...almond flour pasta?! i wonder?!)
but if i can cut back on the gluten...every little counts right lol

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

(combine dry ingredients then add wet)

1 egg + 1 egg white, whipped
1/2 cup sweetner (i used organic honey and used a more like 1/3 cup) but stevia, agave nectar, brown sugar ect.
1/3 cup unsweetend applesauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

mix well

then add 2 cups zucchini plus any add ins youd like,

i doubled the recipie so i did 4 cups of zuccini and 2 cups walnuts

bake in preheated 350 degree oven

recipie called for 50 mins
but mine was doubled and took about 1 1/2 hours for knife to pull clean.

recipie also called for water ass needed once zuccini is added, but i didnt need it at all!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did taste the walnut one, and yes its yummy...needs a little more ginger for me next time though..i love ginger

today mum got another zucchini from the lady she works for...she wanted me to put in chocolate chips rather than nuts this time.

unfortunatly it didnt work out...i dont know if the chocolate added too much moisture, if mabe the zuicchini had more moisture tha ours did or if i wanst quite as carefull with the liquid (the 2 batters looked the same) but after an hour in the oven the knife came out clean but the loaf was still way too wet...another hour and still way too wet, gave it another 1/2 hour, anything more than that and it would have burnt...but even after 2 1/2 hours in baking and an hour in the loaf pan cooling, when i turned it out onto the plate it fell apart and the middle was like a soggy sponge.

not sure what happend there, and it makes me sad because that recipie with chocolate would be realy yummy.

any thoughts on what i might have done wrong the second time. i followed the same recipie, same loaf pan, same oven settings ect...it looked perfect on the outside but inside it was just very very wet!

the zucchini didnt seem to have any more moisture in it than the other one...