Lupin Farm ~ Updated photos of the goat pen in progress

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I sympathise about the teeth, have had many problems with mine. I seem to have grown out of them (the problems), but I am getting close to sixty! :lol:
Not trying to be snarky here, but am truly curious - you speak of no insurance, but live in Canada. I thought you had universal care there. Or are there different rules for students?
When you catch your black and white mancat (LOVE the name!) are you planning to redo his plumbing as well as shots and worming? It would be a good thing for other "not yet mama cats" in the vicinity. -- Don't get me wrong; I love kittens, and one of my favorite cats ever was a tuxedo boy! But this world has so many unwanted cats, it seems a shame to encourage the birth of more of them.
Dental and Eyecare is not covered. Actually, hardly anything is covered. Basic hospital care, Emerge, no prescriptions -- not even high bloodpressure meds are covered, though, IMO they should be because they cost a small fortune (my dad is on bloodpressure meds and for like 2 months its something like $500 and being a cancer survivor he can't get regular insurance).

You have to buy health insurance to cover the extras like your prescriptions, eye care, dental care. Even then, most insurance barely covers anything at all. I think with eyecare you get one OHIP covered eyetest every 3 years, I'm certain on that... and I think thats after 21, before I think you qualify for one once a year.

Also, not all provinces are lucky enough to have universal healthcare like OHIP. As I remember Alberta works the same way as the US. Its a province by province thing, not a national thing.

And as for black and white mancat, it really depends on whether I can catch him. I've caught him before in the havahart by accident while trying to catch a raccoon, but really even if I fix him there are a million more males ready to take his place lol. There used to be a big orange mancat that came around, he really got Accio my fixed indoor mancat bent out of shape. If fluffy hirly cat ends up being pregnant then I will certainly fix the babycats and get their shots done because its more likely I'll be able to catch them easy peasy.

Next time we have a kitty convention I'll try to get some photos of black and white mancat, fluffy girly cat, smokeycat and spottycat.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I opened the ducks up this morning (very gross inside their ducky house, bedding needs to be changed but I don't get paid until March 10th) and sitting in the doorway was a ducky egg! We have 3 Buff Orpington Ducks and we've had them since May 1st 2009 and they never started laying, well apparently now they're laying! I opened up the otherside to find 3 more eggs! No one checks the duck house usually because it is so gross lol and its pretty uncleanable, it was a quick fix for the duckies as I hadn't really come up with a good idea for a house for them. I have now of course, they're getting a moveable ducky house on wheels this summer and there will be 5 of them this summer as we're getting another duck and a drake. We're putting the new house on wheels so we can wheel it up to our house and plug in a heated water bucket lol. The building they live in right now is going to be refitted and moved around the back of the house for Nacho as he has no doggy house and this would make a fabulous doggy house.

Anyhow, we got 4 eggs! And I've never had a duck egg in my life, so I'm not sure what I was thinking when I ordered the ducks LOL. My mum was raised on a tenant farm in England so she's had all kinds of game and eggs, etc. Everyone is right, duck eggs taste so different! The yolk is thicker too. They were good, but they'll take some getting used to. I think I may use the last 2 in my cookie batch tonight, since they're the size of a regular chicken egg (first eggs) right now it should work out okay.

It's super exciting though! I thought they would never lay! I guess all that frisky business racing stripes has been up to was a sign that they would start laying soon LOL. Racing stripes isn't a boy by the way, but shes pretty .... dominent lets say. We have Racing stripes, Jemima Puddle Duck, and Louise.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was getting all excited for spring and thats when the snow was sprung on us hence the lack of any real SS posts here lately. Though, one exciting SS thing.. We make bread right and I've been looking for ages for a bread cutting guide, and Hendrix ordered one for me and it came last week! So mum is making bread so we can try it out. Weeee. Also making more amazing cookies today, as it happens I think they work out better (at least this recipe) with margerine than butter. They're softer, and have a nicer texture to them. Otherwise we usually use butter, but for this recipe margerine works best.

Anyway OFG was talking about EMO and all that jazz and I was looking through photos on my photobucket and found my grad photo from high school ;) This has to be my favourite school photo of me ever.

steph1.jpg

I was a weird kid in high school, I didn't really have a style and I dyed my hair all fun colours most of high school. When I worked at Benix & Co I had bright fire engine red long hair, vertical labret piercing, eyebrow piercing and stretched ear lobes (with orange sparkly plastic earrings, 6 gauge!)

I think by far aside from my grad photo hair, this was my favourite hair.. this was like right after grad, red hair with pink under my bangs lol.

stephaniepink.png

My one and only tattoo...

n856600503_2356647_1353.jpg

I think this fall though I'm going to get horse hoofprints tattooed up my right arm as well.

My old vertical labret piercing... I was 17 when I got that done, lol... the hat is from England.. don't even ask.. like I said, weird kid. Yes I am wearing a Hawthorne Heights hoodie, which was a screamo-emo band, I saw them live with my BF at the time and It was freezing wintery out so I bought a hoodie since I'd dressed completely inappropriately for Ontario winter weather haha.

100_8700.jpg

LOL and here I am dressed up to go and see Harry Potter... Friends used to call me Stephy Weasley .. I truly am a huge HP fan. Seriously.

l_0003f61d778e24584964bbde93a713d3.jpg

And so this is SS, that cork necklace I'm wearing in the last photo to look like Luna Lovegoods necklace, I made myself :D rather than buying one from Allivans.

I'll be back later! Going to buy wood pellet bedding so I can clean out the duckywucky's and shavings so I can clean out the chickenwickens.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
;) In Southern Ontario you can't even buy a decent plot of land for $25,000. A while ago a house on my brothers friends road was for sale, the thing was pretty much on the ground lol and was being sold "as is" on 15 acres of land (13 useable) but the point still was that the house deffo wasn't liveable by any stretch of the imagination. They were asking $87,000... About a month later the house burnt to the ground, and now there is a super adorable house going up in its place, now they want $209,000.

The 3 acre serviced plot that was recently built on on my road sold for $37,000 yikes, not even a house on it! It takes guts to do a total home renovation lol
We bought our house for $20,000, and an additional 5 acres for $4,000 (unserviced, and not accessible by road)

Our neighbour bought her house for $34,000, gutted it over 2 years and re-did everything... it's now for sale for $100,000... I'm hoping ours does as well as hers seems to be, fixing this will be our funding to buy our 'real' farm

For $169,000 here you can get a fully functional farm on 120 acres, with a spring fed pond, three barns, a workshop and a 5 bedroom house (that is admittedly a little outdated) :)

I love the pictures of your old house, the track lighting is great, and I love the accent walls with wallpaper.

I also love your pink hair :) Here's mine:
Hair_001.jpg

And me and hubby when my real hair was pink:
a1_couple.jpg

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woohoo, how can you not love pink hair amiright?! I had pink like yours at one point too, when I was in grade 8. It's also been fire engine red, blue, and I've had pink, purple, turquoise, and green under my bangs lol.

Our place on 8.5 acres with a very outdated and err... gross house was $161,000 and we're 1.5 hours east of Toronto, and 30 minutes north of Belleville (Loyalist College).

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BBH, its cause we're Canadian :cool:

Haha

Speaking of Canada...

This is my winter scene right this minute..

snow_feb25.jpg

And my wonderful duckies who have gifted me with eggies! FINALLY. I'm making cookies with their eggs tonight. Kevin is staying off tomorrow even if the buses aren't cancelled because the roads are terrible, so he'll clean out the chicken house and I'll clean out the ducky house, and we'll both clean out the goatie house. I think my duckies are moulting a little, or they did... *shrug* lol.

duckies.jpg

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My dd uses bingo dabber to colour her hair, or should I say, she get us to colour her hair with bingo dabber. Here is a pic of her and me sporting pink streaks. it washes out after one or two washes.
72_img_1732_1.jpg

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use ManicPanic dye, it washes out in a 2-3 weeks and its expensive but it comes in awesome colours. This year I might do a blonde streak t the front with chocolate brown everywhere else. I've got university in the fall so obviously I have to look awesome haha. I'm also finally splurging this year and buying some Cruel Girl and Wrangler jeans (they come in my size in select styles, although... who the heck wears a size 17? SERIOUSLY. I guess it would benefit me because I'm between a 16 and an 18 lol. )