Lupin Farm ~ Updated photos of the goat pen in progress

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you get a lot of eggs from you EE chickens? I got a couple Ameraucanas and I love getting the green eggs but they definitely don't lay like my Golden Buffs, RIR and Plymouth Barred Rocks do. I don't know if I would get more in the future if I really want very good egg layers.

Hopefully it has stopped raining for you. We had some warm weather but now it is back to cold. Got some snow today but barely even measurable.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They lay quite well actually. They were day olds on May 1st 09 and they pretty much all lay an egg every day. They're hilarious too, and very athletic - they're the only ones that can hop over the 6ft fence.

It HAS stopped raining :D but it's quite windy now. At least we can now get the rental car up the driveway.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your truck still isn't fixed?

At least the wind will help get rid of the water and dry up the fields. I'm glad we are frozen again.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well it WAS supposedly fixed but the steering went back to being cocked to the left in order to drive straight. Then on the way to taking it to a dealership/carstar combo a cop cut me off and I had to hit the breaks quickly and well... the tires went left even though I was steering straight and we almost hit the cop. At that point we called carstar and got towed in. The insurance sent out their appraiser, he was at the dealership 2 times already and is apparently coming back for a 3rd visit. I think the carstar guys have found more wrong with the truck that wasn't addressed right after the crash. I'm kind of hoping it gets written off actually, then we can get a fancy smancy new f-150 :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Day 3

This morning I went down to feed the horsies as per usual and Mylie wouldn't come over to me! She was standing in her little corner by the far gate just nickering at me but not coming over to me. I figured she's being lazy so I grabbed a swath of hay and the feed pan and started to make my way across the field to feed her over there. Well I sure found out why she wasn't coming over!! I feel right on my tush half way across the field! Boy did that hurt. Anyway after I put hay and water over there and fed her I went up to the house to wait for the lady to pick up 10 of my chickens and there she was, WALKING ACROSS THE DARN FIELD. Silly horse faked me out, she totally COULD walk across the field on little bits of snow on the ice. Geez.

Then I went back down to feed her and figured out what the heck is scaring the poo out of my horses. 2 rogue standard labradoodles!! I've been blaming the Akbash's all this time and it turns out its 2 not very friendly labradoodles that look like they've been abandonned. I tried to get them to come to me so I could grab their collars but they just barked angrily at me and scared the poo out of Mylie who high tailed it back to her corner FAR FAR FAR away from the dogs.

And to top it ALLLLL off, I took hot water down for Luna, poured it in, then realized I probably should have broken the ice with my boot so I tried to do it after I'd poured the water in and slipped. So there I am standing in Luna's muck bucket with my boot filled with hot water. It wasn't so bad at first, but then halfway back to the house it started to get cold and ohhh it was so awful.

But at least the great chicken round up went okay and they are now settling in at their new home.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: Sounds like a typical day on a farm! :lol: Fun ain't it? :D I wouldn't have it any other way....those farm mishaps are all frustrating when they happen but make for good memories and stories.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haha I know, the other day I watched my ducks belly slide on the ice down to their house. Being ducks they're a little front heavy and fall over if they run too fast and down they went like penguins hahaha quacking angrily the whole way.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got a call from Enterprise today about the car we're renting until the truck is fixed (for the third time) and they want us to bring it back tomorrow to exchange for a different car because it's a Toyota Corolla (2010) which is in recall in Canada :D Brilliant right? So now I have to drive it about 120km to bring it back hoping the pedal doesn't stick and we don't die! :D Woohoo!

Anyhow, on my way to feeding the horses this afternoon I decided to whip out my camera and freeze my fingers to take some photos for ya'll!

FYI, Luna has arthritis in her hocks and bad feet, hence the funny stance...

IMG_0215.jpg

Goaties! I may be breeding Cissy (the big fat one lol) to a Pygmy/Nubian buck ...

IMG_0213.jpg

The buck is 50/50 and smaller than most Pygmy's

My very very very icey field that I was going to move Mylie too before the rain came, so glad I didn't!

IMG_0217.jpg

Om nom nom carrots in my dinner...

IMG_0220.jpg

Poo-ma-geddon, I was going to scoop it all but it froze before I had the chance... lol but I'm glad I didn't because its the only traction Mylie has on that area!

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

My half finished run-in shelter for Mylie, I can't finish until spring cause my wood froze to the ground lol.. but thats okay anyway because it's a pretty good wind break as-is (it has 2 walls) and in the spring I'm going to jack it up, slap some wheels on, and roll it into the pasture anyway cause it's in the wrong place lol...

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

^^ Mylie trying not to kill herself coming down the hill to snack on some hay..

And that's all folks! My goats are a sleepin', my duckies are err probably pooping everywhere in their gross house, the chickens are roostin', the horses are munchin' on hay and I'm sitting in front of the telly eating hot vegetable soup!

Rinse and Repeat tomorrow!

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great Pics! My horses also have a 1/2 finished shelter with 2 sides done just like Mylies. I made DH put some of the roof on before he went out over the road because my walls are not yet as tall as they need to be and I wasn't sure there was enough protection from the heavy wind we get here in the event that it rained or snowed. Since they won't go in there unless I take them, and then they won't stay, I reckon it just isn't as cold and miserable as I sometimes think it is. :idunno