luvinlife offthegrid- will winter ever arrive?

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, the fox didn't come when I told him it was time for his "lead pill". We have sat guarding since Tuesday, and no fox. Finally got the dang raccoon that was getting into the garbage. Now we have a skunk somewhere close by. I could smell it off and on all day today. I think tomorrow night I'll get the radio out. They don't like music with heavy bass.

Fathers Day was great. My son made gifts for his dad. He painted a picture of Rocky, (our old rooster) in school. His one-on-one aid had her husband make a frame for it. He used his wood burning kit to put "Rocky" on the frame. We really appreciate the gesture. I had my parents up for dinner. I wracked my brain trying to figure out what to get my dad for fathers day. What do you get the man who has everything he wants and needs, and never wants for anything? He loves my cooking, so I made him his favorite. Steaks on the grill, whole wheat and whole spelt bread, grilled zucchini halves, pasta salad, and potato salad. I regret that I didn't have time to make dessert, but we were all stuffed to the gills anyway.

My son and I whacked a few practice golf balls around the yard today. The clubs I got him last year are too short for him now. I'm hoping I can find another second hand set of real clubs for his size. I wonder if they allow kids at the driving range...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Depends on the range. We used to take our son to one golf course around here. For his age, he was quite good, but we got to where we couldn't afford to go any longer. We had the course pro following us around 1x watching him and he commented on how good he was. Who knows, if we could have afforded to keep playing, he might have become the next Tiger Woods.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Deb- it's the FUNNIEST thing to watch him. After he hits the ball, he looks back at his foot to make sure his toe is pointed "just so" and has had the proper follow-through. It's really hard to not giggle while watching him. He has done that since he was a toddler. I just feel bad because my husband and I don't golf. I've never even played on a golf course or gone to a driving range. The only thing I've done is whack golf balls into my parents 8 acre field, trying to hit the hedge row off in the distance.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I don't know about your area, but around here, there are summer programs to introduce kids to various sports-including golf. Maybe you could look online and see if there's anything in the area he could attend.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This morning while eating breakfast, I saw something on the floor by the garbage can. It was a baby mouse! I scooped it up in a cup and let it go in the brush. I caught another mouse in the trap in the bathroom, they like it in there for some reason.

Still no fox. Skunk has been evicted, doesn't like music. :D. Now we have a woodchuck eating stuff in the garden, the little pest got all my lettuce. And of course, more raccoons. I may as well just dump the garbage onto the ground. :barnie

Today, I got a few little pieces of furniture painted. A little antique white cleans things up so nicely. It's like I have a new shelf in the bathroom. :)

After I painted, I was on the phone with my husband while walking around the yard. Suddenly, the chickens start making a bit of noise, and I noticed the 3 month old rooster running straight towards me, his neck stretched up further than I'd ever seen it, and he was wide eyed and squawking like crazy. I looked up and saw a raccoon stumbling around the yard about 25 feet away from me, with the chickens running away from it. He tried to grab a chicken, then FELL DOWN, and got back up, trying to grab a hen. I dropped the phone, ran to grab the gun, and watched its behavior. It was stumbling all over the place, so I had to shoot. My mother-in -law poked her head out of the cabin next door, and I told her to go back in and get to the other end of the cabin, because it was heading to try to go under her house. She came running out the back door with her own, gun, just in case I needed backup.

We grabbed gloves and double bagged it. I Disinfectected the grass around the whole area. Poor thing. :/

I did a little weeding after that, and watered the garden. I have little baby watermelons and pumpkins, and there are blossoms on my cantaloupes and cucumbers. The tomatoes are orange, so it won't be too long. I have harvested bush beans since last week, and the peas a also ready a little at a time. Most of the peas are eaten right off the plant when I'm watering, and never make it to the house.

I hope tomorrow is a critter-free day.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ahh the "drunk" stage of rabies...
as horrible as it sounds sometimes, at that stage a bullte to the head is MUCH more comfortable than whats going on in the brain at that stage.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah. While I didn't find it a pleasant experience, and didn't enjoy killing the coon, I don't feel the least bit guilty for following through with what I feel was my responsibility.

Btw pink fox- was it you who recommended the nu-stock for chickens? I got some (MAN does that stuff stink!), and I've put it on this one hen twice now. Her bare patch still seems to be getting bigger. Should I try it under a saddle?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Did you send the coon away for testing? I know around here, that's what they want you to do, but I'm not sure where to send it. I think it's a matter of calling animal control and letting them deal w/the body.

Latest posts